Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday. Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65. Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds […]
Willie Nelson, AKUS Announce Co-Headlining Tour; Montreal Gets Country Radio Station; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson and Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas announced that they will co-headline a tour together beginning May 1 in Murray, Kentucky. Kacey Musgraves, Jason Isbell, and The Devil Makes Three will join the tour for select dates. Garth Brooks graciously sent off Jay Leno on The Tonight Show with “The Dance” […]
Last night’s Grammy Awards results: Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne) Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley” Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite […]
Ronnie Gant passed away on Saturday at the age of 69. The music publisher worked for Acuff-Rose for more than 20 years and pitched “Elvira” to The Oak Ridge Boys. Singer-songwriter Sarah Elizabeth Campbell passed away December 26 after a battle with liver cancer. She was 60 years old. Billy Block was diagnosed with Stage […]
Ray Price has left the hospital for home hospice care. His statement to his fans: “I love my fans and have devoted my life to reaching out to them. I appreciate their support all these years and I hope I haven’t let them down. I am at peace. I love Jesus. I’m going to be […]
Loretta Lynn Receives Medal of Freedom; Dave Adkins, Edgar Loudermilk Join Forces; Sturgill Simpson Sampler Available for Download
Loretta Lynn was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House yesterday. Watch the video here. There’s a four-song Sturgill Simpson sampler available for download on NoiseTrade. Scott H. Biram’s next album, Nothin’ But Blood, will be released February 4 on Bloodshot Records. Listen to Biram’s new single, “When I Die.” Dave […]
Lucinda Williams Scheduled for Reissue; George Strait Adds Guests to Final Concert; BeauSoleil to Appear on Treme
Nelson Larkin, a songwriter, producer, and music publisher, passed away on Monday at the age of 70. Lucinda Williams’ self-titled, 1988 Rough Trade album will be reissued on January 14; the two-disc set will include remastered original recordings and a number of bonus tracks. There’s a new PledgeMusic campaign where contributors will be able to […]
John Prine: It Took Me Years to Get These Souvenirs will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on November 15. The spotlight exhibit is scheduled to run through May 2014. Kristin Sanders (niece of songwriter Mark D. Sanders) in The Guardian: The Watermelon Queen, Bobbie Joe Gentry, Liza Jane, Fancy: these […]
Krauss, Gill to Join Swift for CMA Awards Performance; Outlaw Music Hall of Fame to Reveal Inductees; New Music Videos
Garth Brooks sent a cryptic email to his mailing list that has fans wondering if he’ll soon reveal news of a new album and tour: “The sevens have aligned. It has begun… Thank you for believing…love, g.” Kellie Pickler received the Warrior Award from the USO of North Carolina at their 9th Annual Salute to Freedom […]
Cowboy Jack Clement Passes Away; Loretta Lynn to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom; Larry Cordle Duets Album Due in October
The legendary Cowboy Jack Clement passed away from liver cancer yesterday at the age of 82. The New York Times, The Washington Post, The 615, and CMT all published obituaries, but if you only read one, it should be the one Peter Cooper wrote. Barry Mazor wrote about Clement in a January Roots Watch: Jack’s […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.