Cowboy Jack Clement Passes Away; Loretta Lynn to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom; Larry Cordle Duets Album Due in October
The legendary Cowboy Jack Clement passed away from liver cancer yesterday at the age of 82. The New York Times, The Washington Post, The 615, and CMT all published obituaries, but if you only read one, it should be the one Peter Cooper wrote. Barry Mazor wrote about Clement in a January Roots Watch: Jack’s […]
Lonestar has a new single called “Party All Day.” George Ducas will release 4340 in late October. The album includes some co-writes with the likes of Radney Foster and Keifer Thompson. The couple that got married at the 2012 ACM Awards is naming their baby after Martina McBride. Sue Zalokar of Street Roots News interviewed […]
Stream Guy Clark’s My Favorite Picture of You; Canadian Country Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott Album Due in Sept.
Dean Brody, Terri Clark, and Johnny Reid are among this year’s Canadian Country Music Awards nominees. Check out the full list here. Stream Guy Clark’s fantastic new album, My Favorite Picture of You, on The Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog. Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s next album, Memories & Moments, will be released September 17 […]
Brenda Lee Sampled on New Kanye West Record; Shovels & Rope, Stringdusters Announce Tour Dates; Album Releases
All 80,000+ tickets for Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Twister Relief Concert sold out in 2 ½ hours. Brenda Lee was sampled on Kanye West’s new record, Yeezus. When talking with the Tennessean’s Dave Paulson about it, Lee said, “My goodness, it’s nice to be recognized.” She is the best. Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson, Asleep at the […]
Songwriter and comedian Don Bowman passed away on Wednesday at the age of 75. (h/t Janice Brooks) Earlier this week, a plaque was placed at Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery to announce the forthcoming construction of a George Jones monument. CMT posted My Darling Clementine’s Possum tribute, “The Gospel According to George.” The Defibulators’ new video premiered […]
Vince Gill Performs with Boston Pops; Shovels & Rope to Release O’ Be Joyful Deluxe Edition; New Valerie Smith, Black Lillies Videos
Producer and Canadian Country Music Hall of Famer Bill Langstroth passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Connie Smith, Bobby Bare, and Sleepy Man Banjo Boys are among the artists who’ll be playing Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam on June 5 at the Ryman. See any familiar faces in Pistol Annies’ “Hush Hush” video? […]
Carrie Underwood to Sing Sunday Night Football Theme; Stream New McKenna, Bhiman Albums; Who is the Greatest Living Country Singer?
Carrie Underwood is replacing Faith Hill on Sunday Night Football. Elizabeth Cook and Todd Snider are on the cover of The East Nashvillian. You can download the entire issue here. John Murph of The Atlantic posted a transcript of his interesting conversation with Wulf Muller and Chuck Mitchell about the revamped OKeh Records label. Hellbound […]
Nominations for the fan-voted 2013 CMT Awards were announced yesterday. Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, and Florida Georgia Line received three nominations each, while Hunter Hayes, Kacey Musgraves and, uh, Journey are among those nominated for two awards. Read the full list of nominations and cast your votes here. The Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver […]
Tim Hensley Passes Away; Kenny Chesney Starts Fund to Aid Boston Bombing Victims; Dailey & Vincent Cover The Louvin Brothers
Tim Hensley passed away yesterday from liver failure. The 50-year old multi-instrumentalist was in Kenny Chesney’s band for 11 years and Patty Loveless’ band for ten. He released one solo album, Long Monday, in 2008. Alan Jackson, Patty Loveless, Vince Gill, The Oak Ridge Boys, and Tanya Tucker are a few of the musicians who […]
George Jones’ radio airplay skyrocketed following news of his death. Chuck Dauphin compiled a list of Jones’ 20 biggest Billboard hits, David Cantwell wrote about Jones for Slate, NPR’s RJ Smith wrote about “The Mysteries of George Jones” and Holly Gleason wrote a piece on the Possum for the Oxford American. Alan Jackson is rescheduling […]
- CraigR.: I beg everyone to watch the music( if you can call it that)video for Florida Georgia Line with Luke Bryan. …
- Roger: That Don Williams cover of Sing Me Back Home sounds great - have to check out that new CD.
- Gene Cross, Jr.: A very pretty song. I sure look forward to being able to buy the complete CD tomorrow. I am a …
- Kanenrake Stacey: I always wondered why RCA gave up on her so fast, I'm glad to know that it was probably because …
- bob: Great interview of an impressive young lady. I'll have to check out that Blues album when it comes out.
- Jack Pliskin: Oh it's good to hear some real country music being made in this day and age. Don Williams is simply a …
- darol anger: This band is not one you're likely to hear out on the fester or club circuit. It's a rare and …
- Livewire: So that's the interview Best listen to the album and decide for yourself. It was slated in UK's Country Music People Magazine A …
- Stormy: A little more glam rock than New Wave, but here is Kenneth Brian covering David Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhfD77QOLY
- Jack Williams: Forgot this one: Richard Thompson - Tempted (Squeeze)