George Jones Museum Planned for Nashville’s Second Ave.; Additional CMA Awards Performers Announced; Album Releases
Best wishes to Elizabeth Cook, who’s “reluctantly agreeing to hit the pause button and recalibrate” after a stretch that included the loss of both parents, a divorce, and a busy touring and radio show schedule. The Save Studio A group released an independent report on the state of the building, which current owners Bravo Development […]
Some jerkwad stole ten of Radney Foster’s guitars and an amp from a locked storage facility. Six instruments have already been recovered. Barry Mazor’s new Wall Street Journal column looks at the five artists nominated for the Americana Music Association’s Emerging Artist of the Year Award: Valerie June, Parker Millsap, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, […]
Vince Gill to Receive BMI Icon Award; HoF to Salute Billy Edd Wheeler; Drive-By Truckers Concert Film Due in November
Kenny Rogers and Little Big Town are two of the acts who’ll appear on Star-Spangled Spectacular: Bicentennial of our National Anthem this Saturday. The PBS program will be broadcast live from Baltimore. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will salute Billy Edd Wheeler as part of its “Poets & Prophets” series on October […]
Daryle Singletary Returns to the Studio; NPR Premieres Shovels & Rope’s Swimmin’ Time; New Music Videos
Florida Georgia Line will release Anything Goes on October 14. John Mellencamp will “embrace his Americana roots” on his new LP, Plain Spoken, out September 23. Cumulus has launched its Nash Icon format on multiple radio stations stations. Check out the trailer for The Song, a new movie about a singer-songwriter whose hit record leads to family drama. In […]
Tom Paxton Launches Kickstarter; Miranda Lambert, Trey Fanjoy Collaborate on Movie; Stray Birds Sign with Yep Roc
The Stray Birds will release their Yep Roc debut, Best Medicine, on October 21. (via press release) American Songwriter premiered Grace Askew’s new video for “Cinnamon.” Tom Paxton launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund his next album. Miranda Lambert is collaborating with award-winning director Trey Fanjoy (who has worked with Lambert on several videos) and screenwriter […]
Garth Brooks is back, and holding a press conference on Thursday at noon to announce whatever it is that he’s got planned. (warning: autoplay) Brooks’ upcoming Ireland tour may be in jeopardy after officials only granted licenses for three of the planned five shows. Kenny Loggins made the announcement that he and the rest of […]
Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
Wade Hayes is cancer-free and back in the studio working on a new album. Kacey Musgraves played “The Trailer Song” on The Tonight Show late last week. Musgraves has also recorded backing vocals for Brian Wilson’s next album. Steel Magnolia’s Meghan Linsey premiered a new song called “Try Harder Than That” that will be on her upcoming record. […]
Don Devaney Passes Away; Another Hank Williams Biopic in the Works; Grammy Awards Add “Best American Roots Performance”
Songwriter Don Devaney, who penned “Someone Loves You Honey,” “Listening to the Rain,” and many more, passed away last Friday at the age of 78. The Grammy Awards added several new categories, one of which is Best American Roots Performance. The press release notes that this is an artist’s award that will “encompass all of […]
Miranda Lambert Tops Billboard 200; Tim Stafford Announces New Album; John Fullbright to Receive Rising Star Award
Willie Nelson played “The Wall” from his new record, Band of Brothers, for Rolling Stone. Out August 12: Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen’s Cold Spell. (via press release) The Allman Brothers Band’s 1971 release At Fillmore East is getting expanded into a six-CD collection (due out July 29) with 15 unreleased tracks. Check out this acoustic […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...