Garth Brooks is back, and holding a press conference on Thursday at noon to announce whatever it is that he’s got planned. (warning: autoplay) Brooks’ upcoming Ireland tour may be in jeopardy after officials only granted licenses for three of the planned five shows. Kenny Loggins made the announcement that he and the rest of […]
Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
Wade Hayes is cancer-free and back in the studio working on a new album. Kacey Musgraves played “The Trailer Song” on The Tonight Show late last week. Musgraves has also recorded backing vocals for Brian Wilson’s next album. Steel Magnolia’s Meghan Linsey premiered a new song called “Try Harder Than That” that will be on her upcoming record. […]
Don Devaney Passes Away; Another Hank Williams Biopic in the Works; Grammy Awards Add “Best American Roots Performance”
Songwriter Don Devaney, who penned “Someone Loves You Honey,” “Listening to the Rain,” and many more, passed away last Friday at the age of 78. The Grammy Awards added several new categories, one of which is Best American Roots Performance. The press release notes that this is an artist’s award that will “encompass all of […]
Miranda Lambert Tops Billboard 200; Tim Stafford Announces New Album; John Fullbright to Receive Rising Star Award
Willie Nelson played “The Wall” from his new record, Band of Brothers, for Rolling Stone. Out August 12: Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen’s Cold Spell. (via press release) The Allman Brothers Band’s 1971 release At Fillmore East is getting expanded into a six-CD collection (due out July 29) with 15 unreleased tracks. Check out this acoustic […]
Jerry Sullivan of The Sullivan Family passed away on Saturday. John Lawless of Bluegrass Today posted an obituary. Rolling Stone Country has launched. Gus Wenner wrote what to expect in an Editor’s Note that you can read here. John Mellencamp has signed a “lifetime” recording contract with Republic Records and he will release his 22nd full-length album this […]
Tequila’s been around since at least the 1600s and has been memorialized in song by everyone from Western Swing’s Cliff Bruner to The Champs to Jimmy Buffett to Joe Nichols. Here are 15 other tunes celebrating the beverage. 15. Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw – “He Drinks Tequila” This Shawn Camp/Michele McCord song from Morgan […]
Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday. Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be. Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. […]
The 49th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards off-camera award winners include: Career Achievement Award: Toby Keith, Ronnie Milsap Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award: Bob Beckham Crystal Milestone Award: Merle Haggard Gene Weed Special Achievement Award: Carrie Underwood Jim Reeves International Award: Steve Buchanan, Rascal Flatts Mae Boren Axton Award: Paul Moore Poet’s Award: Jack Clement, […]
Mel Tillis is recovering after undergoing “routine heart surgery” over the weekend. USAToday.com premiered songs by Rodney Crowell (“God, I’m Missing You”) and Don Williams (“Sing Me Back Home”). Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Allen Toussaint, and more will salute Dr. John at a tribute concert scheduled for May 3 in […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.