The 49th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards off-camera award winners include: Career Achievement Award: Toby Keith, Ronnie Milsap Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award: Bob Beckham Crystal Milestone Award: Merle Haggard Gene Weed Special Achievement Award: Carrie Underwood Jim Reeves International Award: Steve Buchanan, Rascal Flatts Mae Boren Axton Award: Paul Moore Poet’s Award: Jack Clement, […]
Mel Tillis is recovering after undergoing “routine heart surgery” over the weekend. USAToday.com premiered songs by Rodney Crowell (“God, I’m Missing You”) and Don Williams (“Sing Me Back Home”). Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Allen Toussaint, and more will salute Dr. John at a tribute concert scheduled for May 3 in […]
Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday. Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65. Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds […]
Willie Nelson, AKUS Announce Co-Headlining Tour; Montreal Gets Country Radio Station; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson and Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas announced that they will co-headline a tour together beginning May 1 in Murray, Kentucky. Kacey Musgraves, Jason Isbell, and The Devil Makes Three will join the tour for select dates. Garth Brooks graciously sent off Jay Leno on The Tonight Show with “The Dance” […]
Last night’s Grammy Awards results: Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne) Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley” Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite […]
Ronnie Gant passed away on Saturday at the age of 69. The music publisher worked for Acuff-Rose for more than 20 years and pitched “Elvira” to The Oak Ridge Boys. Singer-songwriter Sarah Elizabeth Campbell passed away December 26 after a battle with liver cancer. She was 60 years old. Billy Block was diagnosed with Stage […]
Ray Price has left the hospital for home hospice care. His statement to his fans: “I love my fans and have devoted my life to reaching out to them. I appreciate their support all these years and I hope I haven’t let them down. I am at peace. I love Jesus. I’m going to be […]
Loretta Lynn Receives Medal of Freedom; Dave Adkins, Edgar Loudermilk Join Forces; Sturgill Simpson Sampler Available for Download
Loretta Lynn was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House yesterday. Watch the video here. There’s a four-song Sturgill Simpson sampler available for download on NoiseTrade. Scott H. Biram’s next album, Nothin’ But Blood, will be released February 4 on Bloodshot Records. Listen to Biram’s new single, “When I Die.” Dave […]
Lucinda Williams Scheduled for Reissue; George Strait Adds Guests to Final Concert; BeauSoleil to Appear on Treme
Nelson Larkin, a songwriter, producer, and music publisher, passed away on Monday at the age of 70. Lucinda Williams’ self-titled, 1988 Rough Trade album will be reissued on January 14; the two-disc set will include remastered original recordings and a number of bonus tracks. There’s a new PledgeMusic campaign where contributors will be able to […]
John Prine: It Took Me Years to Get These Souvenirs will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on November 15. The spotlight exhibit is scheduled to run through May 2014. Kristin Sanders (niece of songwriter Mark D. Sanders) in The Guardian: The Watermelon Queen, Bobbie Joe Gentry, Liza Jane, Fancy: these […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."