ACM Awards Post Biggest Ratings Since 1998; Avett Brothers to Headline Newport Folk Festival; Album Releases
The new Brad Paisley-LL Cool J collaboration, “Accidental Racist,” blew up across the internet yesterday afternoon. Here’s a USA Today interview with Paisley as well (warning: autoplay). Sunday night’s ACM Awards were watched by 15.38 million viewers, the highest ratings these awards have seen since 1998. The Avett Brothers will headline the 2013 Newport Folk Festival. Iris […]
Taylor Swift kicked off the Grammy Awards last night with a performance of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” View the full list of award winners here. Album of the Year: Mumford and Sons – Babel Best Country Album: Zac Brown Band – Uncaged Best Country Song: “Blown Away,” written by Josh Kear & Chris […]
The Eagles’ Don Henley will release a new solo album called Cass County in May. Henley said the album “leans towards country. Some of it’s traditional country, some of it is what you might call alt-country, and I’ve got a lot of interesting guest vocalists and musicians on there with me. I made a lot […]
Little Jimmy Dickens Turns 92; iTunes Offers Nashville Indie Spotlight Sampler; Zac Brown Band, Aldean Among World Music Awards Nominees
Little Jimmy Dickens turns 92 today. The Tennessean posted a career-spanning gallery of Dickens photos. Read this fine Jewly Hight interview with Connie Smith and Marty Stuart. Adam Gold of Rolling Stone interviewed T-Bone Burnett. Here’s an excerpt where Burnett talks about Nashville: The reason this show is important to me is that music is […]
Many artists expressed their feelings on social media following last week’s horrific elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. Here is a small sampling: “I’m heartsick about the senseless tragedy in CT and praying for the families of the children and teachers who lost their lives. Unthinkable.” Taylor Swift “Stand strong and united everyone…We are Americans […]
CMT Names Artists of the Year; Keith Urban Receives Nashville Symphony Harmony Award; New Music Videos
Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church, Toby Keith, Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood were named as 2012 CMT Artists of the Year. Rolling Stone announced their top country albums of 2012 and Kellie Pickler was at the top of the list: “American Idol also-ran Pickler is an unlikely trad-country heroine. But 100 Proof may […]
Songwriters: Blu Sanders, Natalie Hemby and Lindsay Chapman No longer content with slight traces of pedal steel and fiddle, country-leaning American Idols have taken to teaming up with traditionalists: Carrie Underwood with Randy Travis, Scotty McCreery and Josh Turner and, now, Kelly Clarkson and Vince Gill. Credit goes to Clarkson for pairing up with one […]
The American Music Awards were held last night. Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift took home trophies. Now that his Vegas run is over, Garth Brooks is planning a 2014 world tour. Paper Angels, the book co-written by Jimmy Wayne about the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree Project, is going to be made into a […]
It’s been a long time since a genre’s experienced a shift like country did at this year’s Country Music Association Awards. With no Garth-like mandate, no behemoth sales figures a la Kenny Chesney’s ticket sales or Taylor Swift’s album numbers, the advent of a whole new guard descended in one three-hour primetime special. Suddenly, outliers […]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …