Taylor Swift kicked off the Grammy Awards last night with a performance of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” View the full list of award winners here. Album of the Year: Mumford and Sons – Babel Best Country Album: Zac Brown Band – Uncaged Best Country Song: “Blown Away,” written by Josh Kear & Chris […]
The Eagles’ Don Henley will release a new solo album called Cass County in May. Henley said the album “leans towards country. Some of it’s traditional country, some of it is what you might call alt-country, and I’ve got a lot of interesting guest vocalists and musicians on there with me. I made a lot […]
Little Jimmy Dickens Turns 92; iTunes Offers Nashville Indie Spotlight Sampler; Zac Brown Band, Aldean Among World Music Awards Nominees
Little Jimmy Dickens turns 92 today. The Tennessean posted a career-spanning gallery of Dickens photos. Read this fine Jewly Hight interview with Connie Smith and Marty Stuart. Adam Gold of Rolling Stone interviewed T-Bone Burnett. Here’s an excerpt where Burnett talks about Nashville: The reason this show is important to me is that music is […]
Many artists expressed their feelings on social media following last week’s horrific elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. Here is a small sampling: “I’m heartsick about the senseless tragedy in CT and praying for the families of the children and teachers who lost their lives. Unthinkable.” Taylor Swift “Stand strong and united everyone…We are Americans […]
CMT Names Artists of the Year; Keith Urban Receives Nashville Symphony Harmony Award; New Music Videos
Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church, Toby Keith, Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood were named as 2012 CMT Artists of the Year. Rolling Stone announced their top country albums of 2012 and Kellie Pickler was at the top of the list: “American Idol also-ran Pickler is an unlikely trad-country heroine. But 100 Proof may […]
Songwriters: Blu Sanders, Natalie Hemby and Lindsay Chapman No longer content with slight traces of pedal steel and fiddle, country-leaning American Idols have taken to teaming up with traditionalists: Carrie Underwood with Randy Travis, Scotty McCreery and Josh Turner and, now, Kelly Clarkson and Vince Gill. Credit goes to Clarkson for pairing up with one […]
The American Music Awards were held last night. Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift took home trophies. Now that his Vegas run is over, Garth Brooks is planning a 2014 world tour. Paper Angels, the book co-written by Jimmy Wayne about the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree Project, is going to be made into a […]
It’s been a long time since a genre’s experienced a shift like country did at this year’s Country Music Association Awards. With no Garth-like mandate, no behemoth sales figures a la Kenny Chesney’s ticket sales or Taylor Swift’s album numbers, the advent of a whole new guard descended in one three-hour primetime special. Suddenly, outliers […]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from […]
George Strait Announces The Cowboy Rides Away Tour; First CMA Awards Performers Named; Holly Williams Plans Album Release
George Strait announced yesterday that his two-year The Cowboy Rides Away Tour will be his last. However, he will continue to make records and may play the occasional show. There’s an Old 97s EP available on NoiseTrade. On Tuesday, a Tennessee Court of Appeals “upheld a 2011 Chancery Court decision to deny Curb Records’ request […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."