No Justice is calling it quits after 12 years. The Red Dirt band will play its last shows in late October. George Strait is expected to announce his final tour dates at a press conference (which will be streamed on his website) Monday at noon EDT. On Sunday, Strait will serve as an honorary Dallas […]
Read an excerpt from Ricky Skaggs’ new memoir, Kentucky Traveler. George Strait is on the cover of the new Billboard. On August 29, the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum will reopen in its new location: Nashville’s Historic Municipal Auditorium. Check out this week’s Quotable Country. CMT.com posted an interview with Charlie Worsham. Chris Parton […]
George Strait to Receive the Legend of Live Billboard Award; 52nd Annual Philly Folk Fest Begins; The Rise of Bro-Country
The 52nd annual Philadelphia Folk Festival begins today. Jewly Hight wrote the Nashville Scene’s new, engaging Reba cover story. It turns out that the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum got more Reba “artifacts” than they’ve ever received from anyone else, including high school report cards, shell casings, and unopened bags of Reba Fritos. […]
Stream Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott’s New Record; Brad & Carrie Return as CMA Awards Hosts; Album Releases
Bobby Slone (JD Crowe & The New South) passed away yesterday. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will host the CMA Awards for the sixth consecutive year. Miranda Lambert’s got a new video for “All Kinds of Kinds.” Stream Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s new album, Memories & Moments. The Jane Austen’s House museum is raising money to buy […]
J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings. The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful […]
Gill, Gatlin to Headline Johnny Cash Music Festival; Carlene Carter Finishes Album; New Music Videos
Carlene Carter announced on Twitter that she has just finished recording her next album and mixing it with Don Was and Bob Clearmountain. No word yet on a release date. Becky Schlegel will be releasing a brand new album called Opry Lullaby on September 1. You can listen to the outstanding title track here. Craig […]
T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
Sarah Peacock has a voice that’s a force of nature. At times soft and nuanced and occasionally rafter-rattling powerful, Peacock sounds equally home at country or in pop. That kind of versatility brings to mind Kelly Clarkson or Jessee Havey of The Duhks by way of comparison. Peacock’s second studio album, Albuquerque Sky, gives the […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
HOF Inductees Announced; Buzz Around “Accidental Racist” Continues; Punch Brothers Documentarian Launches Kickstarter Campaign
The new Hall of Fame inductees were announced this morning: Kenny Rogers (Modern Era), Bobby Bare (Veterans Era), and Cowboy Jack Clement (Non-Performer category). The DelFest daily schedule was announced. On May 10, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil a spotlight exhibit dedicated to Lee Greenwood. Lee Greenwood: American Patriot will run through April 25, […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...