Happy June, everybody. Summer’s in the air and it seems like everywhere you look, flowers are blooming uncontrollably. As it turns out, June’s birth flower is the rose. Thus, that’s the theme for this month’s playlist. There are literally hundreds of songs that fit this topic (more if you count songs about women named Rose, […]
Ferlin Husky and Billy Sherrill Inducted to Hall of Fame; New Releases; Mac Wiseman Celebrates 85 Years
The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper and Edward Morris both recapped Sunday evening’s Country Music Hall of Fame Medallion Ceremony (The Tennessean | CMT), which marked the official induction of Ferlin Husky and Billy Sherrill, and the invitation-only tribute to Mac Wiseman who turned 85 on Sunday (The Tennessean | CMT). Chris Young has a new three-song […]
In the Mixed-Gender Pop-Country Band Popularity Contest, Little Big Town is lagging somewhere behind Gloriana and Lady Antebellum these days. That’s a shame, because they’re more dynamic than either of those two groups. New single “Little White Church” has the potential to put the quartet back in the race. Though it shares a title with […]
At the end of 2009, I offered up an argument that traditional country music would make a mainstream comeback in 2010, on the heels of artists such as Jamey Johnson, Chris Young and Ashton Shepherd. Today, I produce Easton Corbin’s self-titled debut from Mercury Nashville as Exhibit A of this turning tide. Despite sometimes sharing […]
A new documentary, Johnny Cash Of Easter Cash, exploring the Scottish roots of Johnny Cash airs tomorrow on BBC Radio. Rascal Flatts isn’t shy about taking credit for the pop country movement: “It’s kind of amazing that people are just now finding out about it,” Flatts guitarist/pianist Jay DeMarcus admits to The Boot. “Not to […]
George Hamilton IV Celebrates 50th Opry Anniversary; Cactus Cafe Still Closing; Carrie Underwood’s “Temporary Home”
Saturday marks George Hamilton IV‘s 50th anniversary as a Grand Ole Opry member. Despite strong opposition, University of Texas officials have no plans to back down from their original decision to close the Cactus Cafe. Long-time manager Griff Luneberg broke his silence on the issue yesterday morning: “As a loyal Texas Union Employee for the […]
Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett earned Oscar nominations for their work on Crazy Heart. The soundtrack is currently available for download at $5.00 with the deluxe edition marked up a few dollars at $7.99. New releases for the week of February 2, 2009 include: Béla Fleck – Throw Down Your […]
Songwriters: Brett James & Tim Nichols. Chris Young’s self-titled first album suffered from an acute case of Underwooditis: a great voice, but not-so-great material. While the dozens of Nashville Star viewers may have bought the record, the subsequent radio play just wasn’t enough to make him a household name. His second album has been much […]
The U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution honoring country music for its contributions to America. New releases for the week of October 20, 2009 include: Bomshel – Fight Like a Girl Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Flatt & Scruggs – Foggy Mountain Banjo (Reissue) Amazon | Collector’s Choice Music Grasstowne – The Other Side […]
Rusty Wier, one of the innovators of the “Austin sound” in the ’70s and an Americana musician before there was such a thing, passed away Friday morning: Hearing was Rusty Wier’s last sense to go, so although he was almost unresponsive when surrounded by relatives and friends, including Jerry Jeff Walker, at his son Coby’s […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …