Willie Nelson Hospitalized; Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Names Four Inductees; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson canceled last night’s show in Denver and was hospitalized after suffering breathing problems due to the altitude and emphysema, KVET reports. He’s apparently doing better and planning to head back to Texas today. Tony Arata, Kim Williams, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Larry Henley will be inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame […]
Doug Dillard Passes Away; Taylor Swift Donates $4 Million to Hall of Fame; Yep Roc Plans 15th Anniversary Bash
Banjo genius Doug Dillard passed away. He was 75. Taylor Swift came in at #11 on Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most powerful celebrities. She’s in between Steven Spielberg and Tiger Woods. In other Swift news, she donated $4 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to fund an education center, […]
The Florida Territory was created on this day back in 1822 (it wouldn’t become a state for another 23 years). Get some sand in your shoes with these five Florida songs. 5. Patty Griffin – “Florida” Paradise isn’t all it’s cracked up to be: “Isn’t it hard sometimes, isn’t it lonely? How I still hang […]
Frequent readers of this particular feature may believe that its dark topics go back as far as mining songs. Of course that isn’t the case, but where else could you go to find unique and demented playlists such as being eaten by alligators, songs about drowning, freezing to death, rodeo deaths or being trampled by […]
A popular compliment for particularly talented artists is the old line about singing the alphabet: Armed with enough talent and charisma, some singers could make it all the way from A to Z and still aptly hold the attention of their fans. Joe Nichols is certainly one of those vocalists, possessing a set of pipes […]
Sugarland returns to Indiana tonight. The show will benefit the Indiana State Fair Rescue Fund in honor of those injured or killed during the August stage collapse. Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday will be celebrated at the Opry this Saturday. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Johnny Cash, recent compilation Bootleg Volume III: […]
IBMA Awards Nominees Announced; Opry to Host George Jones Birthday Celebration; Brad Paisley and Ronnie Wood Rock Out
The Boxcarsare the band to beat at the IBMA Awards, earning nine nominations last night. George Shuffler and Del McCoury were also announced as the newest Bluegrass Hall of Fame inductees. The full list of nominees is here. Have no fear if you haven’t heard some of those albums and songs up for awards: tomorrow […]
Drive-By Truckers Greatest Hits; Randy Travis Celebrates 25 Years in Country Music; Loretta Lynn Cancels Appearance
Check out some new tunes from Emily West. And one from the Avett Brothers. Loretta Lynn canceled an appearance in Ohio for health reasons. In honor of the 50th Philadelphia Folk Festival, local brewery Yards is releasing Folk Fest Lager, to debut at, of course, the festival from August 19-21. On August 16, Rodney Dillard […]
Sugarland Settles Lawsuit with Founder Kristen Hall; Country Shows Expand; Anna Wilson Adds Jazz to Country Standards
Current Sugarland members Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush settled a lawsuit with the group’s founding member, Kristen Hall, who claims she was owed more than $14 million. Details of the settlement weren’t disclosed. NPR’s Meredith Ochs says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus! challenges commonly held perceptions: Though it’s well-known […]
The sprightly, spunky opening chords of Miss Leslie’s album Wrong is What I Do Best signal a new burst of energy from the Lone Star State singer, manifested throughout with song after song of Texas two-steps, undulating waltzes and old-school kiss-offs. Miss Leslie, born Leslie Anne Sloan, boasts a clear, crisp voice that cuts straight […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...