Doug Dillard Passes Away; Taylor Swift Donates $4 Million to Hall of Fame; Yep Roc Plans 15th Anniversary Bash
Banjo genius Doug Dillard passed away. He was 75. Taylor Swift came in at #11 on Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most powerful celebrities. She’s in between Steven Spielberg and Tiger Woods. In other Swift news, she donated $4 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to fund an education center, […]
The Florida Territory was created on this day back in 1822 (it wouldn’t become a state for another 23 years). Get some sand in your shoes with these five Florida songs. 5. Patty Griffin – “Florida” Paradise isn’t all it’s cracked up to be: “Isn’t it hard sometimes, isn’t it lonely? How I still hang […]
Frequent readers of this particular feature may believe that its dark topics go back as far as mining songs. Of course that isn’t the case, but where else could you go to find unique and demented playlists such as being eaten by alligators, songs about drowning, freezing to death, rodeo deaths or being trampled by […]
A popular compliment for particularly talented artists is the old line about singing the alphabet: Armed with enough talent and charisma, some singers could make it all the way from A to Z and still aptly hold the attention of their fans. Joe Nichols is certainly one of those vocalists, possessing a set of pipes […]
Sugarland returns to Indiana tonight. The show will benefit the Indiana State Fair Rescue Fund in honor of those injured or killed during the August stage collapse. Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday will be celebrated at the Opry this Saturday. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Johnny Cash, recent compilation Bootleg Volume III: […]
IBMA Awards Nominees Announced; Opry to Host George Jones Birthday Celebration; Brad Paisley and Ronnie Wood Rock Out
The Boxcarsare the band to beat at the IBMA Awards, earning nine nominations last night. George Shuffler and Del McCoury were also announced as the newest Bluegrass Hall of Fame inductees. The full list of nominees is here. Have no fear if you haven’t heard some of those albums and songs up for awards: tomorrow […]
Drive-By Truckers Greatest Hits; Randy Travis Celebrates 25 Years in Country Music; Loretta Lynn Cancels Appearance
Check out some new tunes from Emily West. And one from the Avett Brothers. Loretta Lynn canceled an appearance in Ohio for health reasons. In honor of the 50th Philadelphia Folk Festival, local brewery Yards is releasing Folk Fest Lager, to debut at, of course, the festival from August 19-21. On August 16, Rodney Dillard […]
Sugarland Settles Lawsuit with Founder Kristen Hall; Country Shows Expand; Anna Wilson Adds Jazz to Country Standards
Current Sugarland members Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush settled a lawsuit with the group’s founding member, Kristen Hall, who claims she was owed more than $14 million. Details of the settlement weren’t disclosed. NPR’s Meredith Ochs says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus! challenges commonly held perceptions: Though it’s well-known […]
The sprightly, spunky opening chords of Miss Leslie’s album Wrong is What I Do Best signal a new burst of energy from the Lone Star State singer, manifested throughout with song after song of Texas two-steps, undulating waltzes and old-school kiss-offs. Miss Leslie, born Leslie Anne Sloan, boasts a clear, crisp voice that cuts straight […]
Happy June, everybody. Summer’s in the air and it seems like everywhere you look, flowers are blooming uncontrollably. As it turns out, June’s birth flower is the rose. Thus, that’s the theme for this month’s playlist. There are literally hundreds of songs that fit this topic (more if you count songs about women named Rose, […]
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …