Charlie Worsham and Ashley Monroe Collaborate; Kasey Anderson Sentenced; Dolly Participates in Tenn. Tourism Campaign
Americana singer-songwriter Kasey Anderson was sentenced to nearly four years in prison; he must also pay nearly $600,000 in restitution after bilking investors for a nonexistent charity album. Here’s Dolly Parton performing “My Tennessee Mountain Home” for the state’s new tourism campaign. (warning: autoplay) Eric Banister interviewed Michael Jarrett, author of Producing Country: The Inside […]
Randy Travis, Joe Nichols to Release Albums in October; Stream Stuart Duncan/Dolly Parton Collaboration; Album Releases
Randy Travis will release Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am on October 1. On this album, he’ll look back at “songs and artists that were instrumental in crafting his musical career;” the track listing includes “Thanks a Lot,” “Saginaw, Michigan,” and “Someday We’ll Look Back.” (via press release) Joe Nichols’ next album, Crickets, is […]
Randy Travis pleaded guilty to DWI; he received “two years of probation, a $2,000 fine and a 180-day suspended jail sentence. If he doesn’t successfully complete the probation, he will face the jail time. He was ordered to spend at least 30 days at an alcohol treatment facility, complete 100 hours of community service and […]
Kasey Anderson Charged with Wire Fraud; Emmylou Harris Charged with Hit-and-Run; Stream SteelDrivers’ Hammer Down
Patty Andrews, the last surviving member of the Andrews Sisters, died of natural causes yesterday at the age of 94. L.A. prosecutors have charged Emmylou Harris with hit-and-run for “failing to exchange information with a driver whose car she hit on a freeway on Oct. 1.” Stream the SteelDrivers’ new record, Hammer Down, at Twang […]
Elvis Presley died on this day in 1977. Do you remember where you were when you heard the news? Merle Haggard was hospitalized over the weekend and had to cancel his Saturday night show. Over the Rhine, Rosanne Cash, Kasey Anderson, Rhett Miller, and Jason Isbell make Paste‘s list of 50 Musicians Worth Following on […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."