Dallas Wayne Added to Heybale Lineup; The Smilin’ Irishman of Country Music Passed Away; Lionel Richie Recording Country Duets
Singer, songwriter, and Sirius deejay Dallas Wayne has been announced as the replacement for Gary Claxton in the band Heybale. The Austin Chronicle‘s Margaret Moser published a really cool profile on Elizabeth McQueen, who in turn, dishes out a lot of praise for Ray Benson and Willie Nelson. The Smilin’ Irishman of Country Music James […]
Willie Nelson was arrested Friday morning on charges of pot possession. The TV special CMA Country Christmas will air tonight on ABC. Jewly Hight interviewed Justin Townes Earle for Nashville Scene: Two days after Harlem River hit the street, Earle’s tour brought him to the Indianapolis rock club Radio Radio, and that particular night didn’t […]
Garth Brooks Announces Date for Nashville Concert; Billy Ray Cyrus Headed for Divorce; ACL to Close Studio 6A with Lyle Lovett
Garth Brooks announced this morning that he’s hosting a benefit concert for flood victims at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Dec. 17. “If you come to Vegas, you’ll see Garth Brooks with a guitar,” he said. “When you come to Nashville this Christmas, you’re gonna see the band that you know, you’ll see the light rig […]
Brett James Named Songwriter of the Year; Justin Townes Earl Gets Mixed Reviews — Jamey Johnson, Not So Much
At last night’s ASCAP country music awards ceremony, songwriter Brett James took home his second ASCAP songwriter of the year honor for helping write five of the organization’s most performed songs of the past year. Songwriter Josh Kear won for the second time as well. His win came in the song of the year category […]
Gord Bamford & Johnny Reid Lead CCMA Awards; Brad Pitt To Play Jerry Lee Lewis; Preview Loretta’s Tribute
With four trophies apiece, Gord Bamford (MySpace) and Johnny Reid (MySpace) left Sunday night’s male-dominated Canadian Country Music Awards the big winners. Outside of the main categories, female duo One More Girl (MySpace) was named rising star of the year, pulling in one of the few wins for the women, while perennial favorite Corb Lund […]
Brooks & Dunn Cap Hall of Fame-Worthy Career; Ashley Monroe Signs New Deal; Carrie Underwood Snubbery
Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn capped their nearly 20-year career together last Thursday with “Brand New Man,” the same song that helped launch them way back in 1991. Watch a lo-fi video on YouTube (via That Nashville Sound). GAC’s Tom Roland says the show didn’t feel as final as it could have and declares the […]
What key does Garth Brooks sing in? Florida doesn’t pay enough to bring Garth out of semi-retirement. — Karlie What key do you prefer and how much are you willing to pay? Also, is a private jet included as part of the offer? — CMW Where does Big Kenny live? He was born in Big […]
Loretta Lynn Earns Lifetime Achievement Award; TIME & Billboard Lists; Toby Keith Performs at Nobel Peace Concert
Loretta Lynn, Harold Bradley, and Walter Miller will be among those honored by the Recording Academy during Grammy week. Lynn will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and both Bradley and Miller will earn Trustees Awards. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox compared and contrasted the best of the decade lists that ran here and Country Universe. It […]
What does an invitation to the CMA Awards look like? It has a picture of Taylor Swift with the words “Come see Taylor and some other people perform!” underneath. — Sam No idea. The CMA has yet to recognize the “interwebs” as a viable media entity, thus haven’t approved our credential requests. — Pierce Who […]
What did Beyonce think after Kenya interrupted the awards? She figured the country’s government must still be bitter that Taylor Swift is only bringing her tour to the West coast of Africa. — Karlie What subgenre is Taylor Swift? Moody electropunk jazzbilly thrash metal with operatic overtones. Or just pop-country. — CMW When will I […]
- Dave D.: Sorry, "Gave Her 'Heart' to Jethro."
- Dave D.: "Pay No Attention to Alice", "Homecoming", and "She Gave Her Love to Jethro" start to scratch the surface of my …
- Erik North: "A Week In A Country Jail", hot baloney, eggs, and gravy, and all.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …