A Ball State college student became the sixth fatality in the Indiana State Fair stage collapse right before Sugarland was to take the stage. Jennifer Haskell had been hospitalized for severe head injuries. Her best friend was one of the other five fatalities. A roof center plug might be to blame for making the tarp […]
At least five people were killed and over 40 were injured—some critically—when the entire concert rigging blew over in a storm during the Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday night. Sara Bareilles had just finished her opening number and Sugarland had yet to take the stage. Witnesses tell of a wall of […]
Caitlin & Will/Keith Anderson Dropped; Gretchen Wilson’s Redneck Records; Initial Lineup for CMA Awards
Caitlin & Will and Keith Anderson have parted ways with Columbia Records. Tune in to GAC tonight to catch the premiere of “Why Don’t We Just Dance,” the first single and new video from Josh Turner‘s recently delayed album. The previous album release date was Nov. 10, but that has been pushed back three months […]
Somehow, The 9513 Top Artist chart just doesn’t look right if it doesn’t have a guy in a cowboy hat as the #1 artist. Or on the occasions where Sugarland is on top, a guy in a dorky fedora. This isn’t one of those occasions, as George Strait is far and away the #1 artist […]
New York Fashion Week doesn’t start up until Sept. 10, but this week on The 9513 saw quite a bit of sartorial snark. Brady’s post Thursday on a new promotional video for George Strait’s upcoming album Twang elicited some comments on his (gasp!) untucked shirts: idlewildsouth: I’m noticing in that video of George Strait, there […]
The sartorially-challenged Rische siblings are back! Of course, you may not have even missed their absence, considering that the group’s 2008 debut was only released digitally, and its only single, “I Don’t Love You Like That,” topped out at #38. But Jypsi has picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, and given radio success another shot […]
Eighty-three year-old country singer Ferlin Husky is in the hospital and in critical condition with an accelerated heart rate and possible pneumonia. Caitlin & Will, the Carter Twins, Jypsi and Matt Stillwell will open for Alan Jackson at Aquapalooza, an all-day boating event in Alabama on July 25. Country California: A hobo appeared on stage […]
Kiss my grits; it’s a playlist about waitresses. From hash-slinging to, well, hash-slinging, these women have seen and done it all. Don’t boss ‘em, don’t cross ‘em, and for Pete’s sake, tip nicely. 5. “The Night’s Too Long” – Lucinda Williams/”The Road Goes on Forever” – Robert Earl Keen Two waitresses escape their humdrum existence […]
In the comments section of Wednesday’s News Roundup, Brody and artist Miss Leslie discussed the new(ish) trend of music labels preemptively testing artists’ singles before dedicating time and money to releasing (or even recording) entire albums: Miss Leslie: Hey Brody – out of curiosity – what’s ya’ll’s take on the way things are going with […]
The first song ever recorded by The Statler Brothers was a tune by the name of “The Ballad of Billy Christian,” written by Tom T. Hall. In that regard, it was only fitting that both were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame at the Ford Theater on Sunday night. Last week Rick drew […]
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …