FTC to Vote on Universal-EMI Merger; Gary Allan, Brad Paisley Plan New Albums; New Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard Video
European regulators approved Universal’s $1.9 billion takeover of EMI. The FTC votes on it today. This article about the Universal-EMI deal and the digital music market paints a grim picture. An excerpt: Major labels control so much of the world’s music catalog, however, that new providers have to ink deals with them before turning to […]
Merle Haggard to Play Ryman in 2012; Free Music From Bloodshot; Dixie Chicks Giveaway Winner Announced
Merle Haggard is slated to play a show at the Ryman next April. Tickets went on sale this morning. Jason Isbell played a few songs for KEXP. Bloodshot Records is giving out a free sampler highlighting their 2011 releases from artists like Paul Burch, Andre Williams, Scott H. Biram, and more. Chet Flippo’s Nashville Skyline […]
Sugarland returns to Indiana tonight. The show will benefit the Indiana State Fair Rescue Fund in honor of those injured or killed during the August stage collapse. Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday will be celebrated at the Opry this Saturday. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Johnny Cash, recent compilation Bootleg Volume III: […]
Zac Brown Band Partners with Jack Daniel’s; Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice Adds New Member; New Sara Evans Video
Elizabeth Cook was charming and hilarious on The Late Show with David Letterman Monday night (fast-forward to the 29 minute mark if you don’t want to sit through the whole episode). James “Glen” Croker, lead vocalist for Cajun band the Hackberry Ramblers, passed away yesterday at the age of 77. Zac Brown Band has partnered […]
Chet Flippo on women in country music: The recent furor over the revelation that the Top 30 of Billboard‘s hot country songs chart had no solo women artists for the first time in recent recorded history comes as no huge news. One main reason: There are relatively few solo women working successfully in country music […]
Please welcome Barry Mazor as Engine 145’s Senior Columnist. His column will run twice monthly. On Saturday, Bill Anderson will celebrate his 50th Anniversary as an Opry member. It’s Johnny Cash Weekend from Thursday to Saturday for minor league ballclub the Reno Aces. The team will be wearing black jerseys and the first 2500 fans […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...