FTC to Vote on Universal-EMI Merger; Gary Allan, Brad Paisley Plan New Albums; New Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard Video
European regulators approved Universal’s $1.9 billion takeover of EMI. The FTC votes on it today. This article about the Universal-EMI deal and the digital music market paints a grim picture. An excerpt: Major labels control so much of the world’s music catalog, however, that new providers have to ink deals with them before turning to […]
Merle Haggard to Play Ryman in 2012; Free Music From Bloodshot; Dixie Chicks Giveaway Winner Announced
Merle Haggard is slated to play a show at the Ryman next April. Tickets went on sale this morning. Jason Isbell played a few songs for KEXP. Bloodshot Records is giving out a free sampler highlighting their 2011 releases from artists like Paul Burch, Andre Williams, Scott H. Biram, and more. Chet Flippo’s Nashville Skyline […]
Sugarland returns to Indiana tonight. The show will benefit the Indiana State Fair Rescue Fund in honor of those injured or killed during the August stage collapse. Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday will be celebrated at the Opry this Saturday. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Johnny Cash, recent compilation Bootleg Volume III: […]
Zac Brown Band Partners with Jack Daniel’s; Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice Adds New Member; New Sara Evans Video
Elizabeth Cook was charming and hilarious on The Late Show with David Letterman Monday night (fast-forward to the 29 minute mark if you don’t want to sit through the whole episode). James “Glen” Croker, lead vocalist for Cajun band the Hackberry Ramblers, passed away yesterday at the age of 77. Zac Brown Band has partnered […]
Chet Flippo on women in country music: The recent furor over the revelation that the Top 30 of Billboard‘s hot country songs chart had no solo women artists for the first time in recent recorded history comes as no huge news. One main reason: There are relatively few solo women working successfully in country music […]
Please welcome Barry Mazor as Engine 145′s Senior Columnist. His column will run twice monthly. On Saturday, Bill Anderson will celebrate his 50th Anniversary as an Opry member. It’s Johnny Cash Weekend from Thursday to Saturday for minor league ballclub the Reno Aces. The team will be wearing black jerseys and the first 2500 fans […]
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …