FTC to Vote on Universal-EMI Merger; Gary Allan, Brad Paisley Plan New Albums; New Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard Video
European regulators approved Universal’s $1.9 billion takeover of EMI. The FTC votes on it today. This article about the Universal-EMI deal and the digital music market paints a grim picture. An excerpt: Major labels control so much of the world’s music catalog, however, that new providers have to ink deals with them before turning to […]
Merle Haggard to Play Ryman in 2012; Free Music From Bloodshot; Dixie Chicks Giveaway Winner Announced
Merle Haggard is slated to play a show at the Ryman next April. Tickets went on sale this morning. Jason Isbell played a few songs for KEXP. Bloodshot Records is giving out a free sampler highlighting their 2011 releases from artists like Paul Burch, Andre Williams, Scott H. Biram, and more. Chet Flippo’s Nashville Skyline […]
Sugarland returns to Indiana tonight. The show will benefit the Indiana State Fair Rescue Fund in honor of those injured or killed during the August stage collapse. Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday will be celebrated at the Opry this Saturday. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Johnny Cash, recent compilation Bootleg Volume III: […]
Zac Brown Band Partners with Jack Daniel’s; Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice Adds New Member; New Sara Evans Video
Elizabeth Cook was charming and hilarious on The Late Show with David Letterman Monday night (fast-forward to the 29 minute mark if you don’t want to sit through the whole episode). James “Glen” Croker, lead vocalist for Cajun band the Hackberry Ramblers, passed away yesterday at the age of 77. Zac Brown Band has partnered […]
Chet Flippo on women in country music: The recent furor over the revelation that the Top 30 of Billboard‘s hot country songs chart had no solo women artists for the first time in recent recorded history comes as no huge news. One main reason: There are relatively few solo women working successfully in country music […]
Please welcome Barry Mazor as Engine 145’s Senior Columnist. His column will run twice monthly. On Saturday, Bill Anderson will celebrate his 50th Anniversary as an Opry member. It’s Johnny Cash Weekend from Thursday to Saturday for minor league ballclub the Reno Aces. The team will be wearing black jerseys and the first 2500 fans […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.