FTC to Vote on Universal-EMI Merger; Gary Allan, Brad Paisley Plan New Albums; New Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard Video
European regulators approved Universal’s $1.9 billion takeover of EMI. The FTC votes on it today. This article about the Universal-EMI deal and the digital music market paints a grim picture. An excerpt: Major labels control so much of the world’s music catalog, however, that new providers have to ink deals with them before turning to […]
Merle Haggard to Play Ryman in 2012; Free Music From Bloodshot; Dixie Chicks Giveaway Winner Announced
Merle Haggard is slated to play a show at the Ryman next April. Tickets went on sale this morning. Jason Isbell played a few songs for KEXP. Bloodshot Records is giving out a free sampler highlighting their 2011 releases from artists like Paul Burch, Andre Williams, Scott H. Biram, and more. Chet Flippo’s Nashville Skyline […]
Sugarland returns to Indiana tonight. The show will benefit the Indiana State Fair Rescue Fund in honor of those injured or killed during the August stage collapse. Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday will be celebrated at the Opry this Saturday. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Johnny Cash, recent compilation Bootleg Volume III: […]
Zac Brown Band Partners with Jack Daniel’s; Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice Adds New Member; New Sara Evans Video
Elizabeth Cook was charming and hilarious on The Late Show with David Letterman Monday night (fast-forward to the 29 minute mark if you don’t want to sit through the whole episode). James “Glen” Croker, lead vocalist for Cajun band the Hackberry Ramblers, passed away yesterday at the age of 77. Zac Brown Band has partnered […]
Chet Flippo on women in country music: The recent furor over the revelation that the Top 30 of Billboard‘s hot country songs chart had no solo women artists for the first time in recent recorded history comes as no huge news. One main reason: There are relatively few solo women working successfully in country music […]
Please welcome Barry Mazor as Engine 145’s Senior Columnist. His column will run twice monthly. On Saturday, Bill Anderson will celebrate his 50th Anniversary as an Opry member. It’s Johnny Cash Weekend from Thursday to Saturday for minor league ballclub the Reno Aces. The team will be wearing black jerseys and the first 2500 fans […]
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.