John Prine: It Took Me Years to Get These Souvenirs will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on November 15. The spotlight exhibit is scheduled to run through May 2014. Kristin Sanders (niece of songwriter Mark D. Sanders) in The Guardian: The Watermelon Queen, Bobbie Joe Gentry, Liza Jane, Fancy: these […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. Joy Kills Sorrow, a five-piece band out of Boston, is elevating the art of making tradition sound nontraditional. They are a string band with an indie rock intensity, mixing jazz, pop and roots influences into something uniquely their own. The latest example […]
Linda Ronstadt revealed in an AARP.org interview that she has Parkinson’s Disease and that it has robbed her of her ability to sing. The terrible Rim Fire near Yosemite has forced the cancellation of the long-running Strawberry Music Festival. (warning: autoplay) Trisha Yearwood confirmed in a television interview that she and Garth Brooks are working […]
George Jones Biopic in the Works; Amanda Shires Releases Album Trailer; Skip Cherryholmes Joins Lou Reid & Carolina
Slim Whitman passed away. He was 89 years old. (h/t Janice Brooks) Reba’s on the cover of Jetset Magazine. Inside, she talks about her career, and, of course, the planes she’s owned. 28 Entertainment has acquired the life rights to George Jones. A biopic is in the works; writer Dennis Baxter worked with George and Nancy (who […]
Buddy Emmons Tribute Album Due in August; Additional CMT Awards Performers Announced; Clay Hess Debuts New Single
Kellie Pickler won Dancing with the Stars. Paul Franklin, Greg Leisz, Little Jimmy Dickens, Chris Stapleton, and more will appear on The Big E: A Salute to Steel Guitarist Buddy Emmons, which will be released August 20. From the press release: The participating artists salute Emmons, now retired, with classic country songs written, recorded or […]
Bluegrass Nights at the Ryman Return 6/20; RIAA to Count Digital Streams Toward Gold & Platinum Certification; Hellbound Glory Announces Tour Dates
The Bluegrass Nights at the Ryman concert series kicks off June 20. Vince Gill, Ralph Stanley, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, and The Gibson Brothers are among this year’s performers. “Always: Singing the Legacy of Patsy Cline,” a tribute concert at the Country Music Hall of Fame, will be streamed online Saturday afternoon. Brenda Lee, Jan […]
George Jones Laid to Rest; Woody Guthrie at 100 to Air on PBS in June; Jason Aldean to Co-Host CMT Awards
George Jones’ memorial service was held yesterday morning. It was lovely. GAC put together a photo gallery. Rolling Stone posted a statement from Keith Richards on Jones’ passing. A few videos from the event are trickling in on YouTube, like Patty Loveless and Vince Gill’s heart-wrenching performance of “Go Rest High on That Mountain.” No […]
Mindy McCready was found dead yesterday afternoon from what appeared to be a single, self-inflicted gunshot wound, reports the Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office. She was 37 and leaves behind two young sons. TMZ reports that McCready also shot her dog. Billboard and the Tennessean are two of the many outlets that have posted obituaries and remembrances. Pam Tillis took […]
Kix Brooks to Host Overnight Radio Show; Bankesters Premiere New Video; How Does Americana Stay True?
Wall Street Journal music critic Jim Fusilli wrote a fine article called “How Americana Stays True.” An excerpt: Will the Americana movement succumb to the temptation to dumb down, or gloss up, its music to appeal to a wider audience? It seems unlikely. The AMA’s 1,600 members, many of whom are Americana musicians, control its […]
Banjo Symposium Coming to UNC-Chapel Hill; Taylor Swift Breaks Digital Sales Record; New Videos from The Flatlanders, Drew Kennedy
Ray Price is working on a new album, reports Markos Papadatos. Here’s the new video for Drew Kennedy’s “Stars in California.” And a video from The Onion: “Country Artist Sings About Real America and Its Meth Addicts.” There’s a neat article on IndyWeek.com about this weekend’s banjo symposium at UNC-Chapel Hill. Joy Kills Sorrow’s “Jason” […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.