Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Soulful Americana singer-songwriter Wendy Colonna’s 2013 album, Nectar, might have slipped under a few radars, but it’s worth seeking out for a few spins. Here’s one of the tracks: Since we’re pretty nosy when it comes to other people’s record collections, we recently caught up with Colonna and asked her what she’s been listening to. […]
The year 2013 was a busy one for Sarah Darling. Her summertime single, “Little Umbrellas,” picked up strong reviews and reached the Top 20 charts on Sirius XM. She had numerous television appearances and was the first music artist in over 12 years to receive the National Association for Music Education’s “Stand for Music” Award, […]
If you close your eyes when you put the needle down on Sarah Jarosz’s third album, you’ll swear you’re listening to Joni Mitchell–especially her Hejira album, one moment–Diana Krall’s smoky and seductive voice at another moment, or Maria Muldaur’s sultry, languorous vocals in the next moment. Yet, it’s Mitchell that Jarosz most resembles in her […]
Mavis Staples, Zac Brown & More to Honor Levon Helm at Grammys; George Strait to Receive CRB Career Achievement Award; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Approved for Funding
Elton John, Mumford and Sons, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown, T Bone Burnett, and Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) will take part in a tribute to Levon Helm at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. The Birthplace of Country Music Museum, currently under construction in Bristol, Tenn. recently got approved for funding. $600,000 will be paid in installments […]
Chris Ethridge Passes Away; The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band & Kenny Chesney Join NBC Summer Concert Series; Album Releases
Chris Ethridge (Flying Burrito Brothers) passed away yesterday due to complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 65. Watch Abigail Washburn’s TED talk about building international relations with the help of a banjo. A quote from the video: “I see the power of music to connect cultures. I see it when I stand on a stage at […]
A Pair of Legendary Songwriters Pass Away; Alan Jackson to Perform at National Cathedral; New Album Releases
Jerry Leiber, who had a hand in classics like “Hound Dog” and “Jailhouse Rock,” passed away at the age of 78 yesterday. R&B singer-songwriter Nicholas Ashford, 70, also passed. Buck Owens’ pre-Capitol recordings have been collected for a 24-song album called Buck Owens—Bound for Bakersfield 1953-1956 that’s due out on September 27. T-Bone Burnett talked […]
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done. Few probably thought that a little AM […]
During the late winter & early spring of 1979, listeners of country radio were treated to the unusual strains of “Someone Is Looking For Someone Like You.” Amidst the clutter of the last vestiges of the Outlaw Movement, the dying gasps of the Nashville Sound and the nascent Urban Cowboy movement, this lilting and beautiful […]
At a time when several artists have found widespread commercial success recording songs that declare the singer’s affection for life below the Mason-Dixon by invoking an (often superficial) list of names, things, or activities that signify Southern-ness, Atlanta-based singer-songwriter Caroline Herring turns her unflinching gaze into the region’s troubled past, subverting the tropes of moonlight, […]
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.