Soulful Americana singer-songwriter Wendy Colonna’s 2013 album, Nectar, might have slipped under a few radars, but it’s worth seeking out for a few spins. Here’s one of the tracks: Since we’re pretty nosy when it comes to other people’s record collections, we recently caught up with Colonna and asked her what she’s been listening to. […]
The year 2013 was a busy one for Sarah Darling. Her summertime single, “Little Umbrellas,” picked up strong reviews and reached the Top 20 charts on Sirius XM. She had numerous television appearances and was the first music artist in over 12 years to receive the National Association for Music Education’s “Stand for Music” Award, […]
If you close your eyes when you put the needle down on Sarah Jarosz’s third album, you’ll swear you’re listening to Joni Mitchell–especially her Hejira album, one moment–Diana Krall’s smoky and seductive voice at another moment, or Maria Muldaur’s sultry, languorous vocals in the next moment. Yet, it’s Mitchell that Jarosz most resembles in her […]
Mavis Staples, Zac Brown & More to Honor Levon Helm at Grammys; George Strait to Receive CRB Career Achievement Award; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Approved for Funding
Elton John, Mumford and Sons, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown, T Bone Burnett, and Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) will take part in a tribute to Levon Helm at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. The Birthplace of Country Music Museum, currently under construction in Bristol, Tenn. recently got approved for funding. $600,000 will be paid in installments […]
Chris Ethridge Passes Away; The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band & Kenny Chesney Join NBC Summer Concert Series; Album Releases
Chris Ethridge (Flying Burrito Brothers) passed away yesterday due to complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 65. Watch Abigail Washburn’s TED talk about building international relations with the help of a banjo. A quote from the video: “I see the power of music to connect cultures. I see it when I stand on a stage at […]
A Pair of Legendary Songwriters Pass Away; Alan Jackson to Perform at National Cathedral; New Album Releases
Jerry Leiber, who had a hand in classics like “Hound Dog” and “Jailhouse Rock,” passed away at the age of 78 yesterday. R&B singer-songwriter Nicholas Ashford, 70, also passed. Buck Owens’ pre-Capitol recordings have been collected for a 24-song album called Buck Owens—Bound for Bakersfield 1953-1956 that’s due out on September 27. T-Bone Burnett talked […]
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done. Few probably thought that a little AM […]
At a time when several artists have found widespread commercial success recording songs that declare the singer’s affection for life below the Mason-Dixon by invoking an (often superficial) list of names, things, or activities that signify Southern-ness, Atlanta-based singer-songwriter Caroline Herring turns her unflinching gaze into the region’s troubled past, subverting the tropes of moonlight, […]
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!