Mavis Staples, Zac Brown & More to Honor Levon Helm at Grammys; George Strait to Receive CRB Career Achievement Award; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Approved for Funding
Elton John, Mumford and Sons, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown, T Bone Burnett, and Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) will take part in a tribute to Levon Helm at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. The Birthplace of Country Music Museum, currently under construction in Bristol, Tenn. recently got approved for funding. $600,000 will be paid in installments [...]
Chris Ethridge Passes Away; The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band & Kenny Chesney Join NBC Summer Concert Series; Album Releases
Chris Ethridge (Flying Burrito Brothers) passed away yesterday due to complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 65. Watch Abigail Washburn’s TED talk about building international relations with the help of a banjo. A quote from the video: “I see the power of music to connect cultures. I see it when I stand on a stage at [...]
A Pair of Legendary Songwriters Pass Away; Alan Jackson to Perform at National Cathedral; New Album Releases
Jerry Leiber, who had a hand in classics like “Hound Dog” and “Jailhouse Rock,” passed away at the age of 78 yesterday. R&B singer-songwriter Nicholas Ashford, 70, also passed. Buck Owens’ pre-Capitol recordings have been collected for a 24-song album called Buck Owens—Bound for Bakersfield 1953-1956 that’s due out on September 27. T-Bone Burnett talked [...]
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done. Few probably thought that a little AM [...]
At a time when several artists have found widespread commercial success recording songs that declare the singer’s affection for life below the Mason-Dixon by invoking an (often superficial) list of names, things, or activities that signify Southern-ness, Atlanta-based singer-songwriter Caroline Herring turns her unflinching gaze into the region’s troubled past, subverting the tropes of moonlight, [...]
- Doug Gilliland: Can't say for sure if these artists are currently unsigned, but I would love to hear new material from Kathy ...
- Rick: Opry Alert! I'm guessing(?) tonight marks the end of the spring season of the Thursday Night Classic Country Opry shows ...
- bob: Thanks for the info on the PBS Carole King concert. It will be good to see Trisha Yearwood sing again.
- Jon: Nope.
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...