The Hattiesburg American reports that the Coca-Cola building in Philadelphia, Mississippi is being transformed into a warehouse associated with the proposed Marty Stuart Center. When it opens, the Center will hold Stuart’s collection of country music memorabilia. Ruthie Foster will release Promise of a New Day on August 19. USA Today premiered one of the […]
Irene Kelley lives up to her reputation as a stellar artist and songwriter with her latest, the rootsy, grassy Pennsylvania Coal. Quality should be no surprise, since Kelley has been in demand on Music Row for decades for her sweet, pure sound and sought-after writing skills, with cuts by artists including Carl Jackson, Ricky Skaggs, […]
Whenever you round a corner in the bluegrass world, you’re liable run into Chris Jones. Co-writer, with John Pennell of the 2007 IBMA Song of the Year, “Fork in the Road,” columnist for Bluegrass Today, a host on Sirius XM’s Bluegrass Junction, and front man of The Night Drivers, Jones is one of bluegrass’s most […]
Garth Returns to Vegas; Third Season of Troubadour, TX Premieres Sept. 28; Stream Sioux City Kid, Declan O’Rourke
The third season of Troubadour, TX begins on September 28. Kris Kristofferson is a segment host this season, and artists like Radney Foster, Walt Wilkins, and Bonnie Bishop are scheduled to appear. Garth Brooks returns to Vegas for eight shows in October and November. Del McCoury was interviewed by CMT Edge’s Stephen Deusner. American Songwriter […]
Steve Moore Resigns as CMA CEO; Alejandro Escovedo, Langhorne Slim Premiere New Videos; Album Releases
Steve Moore resigned as CMA CEO. Brenda Lee talks about being sampled by Kanye West and her days as spelling bee champ in this interview with CMT’s Craig Shelburne. Ashley Monroe played “Hickory Wind” for American Songwriter. Watch here. Danny Wells shares the story behind “Check Yes or No,” the George Strait hit Wells co-wrote […]
Luke Bryan Wins Nine American Country Awards; Ronnie Fauss Releases Free Christmas MP3; New Album Releases
Luke Bryan took home nine trophies at last night’s American Country Awards. The full list of winners can be found here. Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale were featured on The Los Angeles Times music blog “Pop & Hiss.” Here’s an excerpt in which Miller discusses harmony singing: “I’m not a big fan of most three-part […]
September’s the month country and its cousins honor music and music makers that the Media Barons-That-Be don’t consider ripe for prime time—anything more than five minutes old, anything with specialized appeal, artists who don’t universally look like aspiring starlets or teen idols (sorry, Junior Sisk, Richard Thompson, and Billy Sherrill) and anybody at all besides […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Reba Won’t Return to Host 2013 ACM Awards; Mumford and Sons on Pace for 2012′s Biggest Debut Week
The IBMA Awards were held yesterday. Congratulations to the winners: Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees: Doyle Lawson, Ralph Rinzler Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients: Byron Berline, Joe & Lil Cornett, Orin Friesen, Pee Wee Lambert, Kitsy Kuykendall Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Vocal Group of the Year: Blue Highway Instrumental Group of the Year: […]
Lately I’ve been thinking about repetition, repeatedly. See, I’ve never been one of those who can be counted on to rail against the latest alleged oncoming modern pop corruption of whatever country music has been sounding like for a while. In country, complaints about sonic invaders have always been there. But in addition, history leaves […]
As its puntastic title suggests, Back to Bassics is a collection of solid, no-frills bluegrass, something that’s not as effortless to make as it sounds. Saravanan “Sav” Sankaran, the boyishly-voiced bass player for The Dixie Bee-Liners, leads a sharp band—with Adam Steffey on mandolin and Ron Stewart pulling double duty on banjo and fiddle—through eleven […]
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …