Whenever you round a corner in the bluegrass world, you’re liable run into Chris Jones. Co-writer, with John Pennell of the 2007 IBMA Song of the Year, “Fork in the Road,” columnist for Bluegrass Today, a host on Sirius XM’s Bluegrass Junction, and front man of The Night Drivers, Jones is one of bluegrass’s most […]
Garth Returns to Vegas; Third Season of Troubadour, TX Premieres Sept. 28; Stream Sioux City Kid, Declan O’Rourke
The third season of Troubadour, TX begins on September 28. Kris Kristofferson is a segment host this season, and artists like Radney Foster, Walt Wilkins, and Bonnie Bishop are scheduled to appear. Garth Brooks returns to Vegas for eight shows in October and November. Del McCoury was interviewed by CMT Edge’s Stephen Deusner. American Songwriter […]
Steve Moore Resigns as CMA CEO; Alejandro Escovedo, Langhorne Slim Premiere New Videos; Album Releases
Steve Moore resigned as CMA CEO. Brenda Lee talks about being sampled by Kanye West and her days as spelling bee champ in this interview with CMT’s Craig Shelburne. Ashley Monroe played “Hickory Wind” for American Songwriter. Watch here. Danny Wells shares the story behind “Check Yes or No,” the George Strait hit Wells co-wrote […]
Luke Bryan Wins Nine American Country Awards; Ronnie Fauss Releases Free Christmas MP3; New Album Releases
Luke Bryan took home nine trophies at last night’s American Country Awards. The full list of winners can be found here. Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale were featured on The Los Angeles Times music blog “Pop & Hiss.” Here’s an excerpt in which Miller discusses harmony singing: “I’m not a big fan of most three-part […]
September’s the month country and its cousins honor music and music makers that the Media Barons-That-Be don’t consider ripe for prime time—anything more than five minutes old, anything with specialized appeal, artists who don’t universally look like aspiring starlets or teen idols (sorry, Junior Sisk, Richard Thompson, and Billy Sherrill) and anybody at all besides […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Reba Won’t Return to Host 2013 ACM Awards; Mumford and Sons on Pace for 2012′s Biggest Debut Week
The IBMA Awards were held yesterday. Congratulations to the winners: Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees: Doyle Lawson, Ralph Rinzler Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients: Byron Berline, Joe & Lil Cornett, Orin Friesen, Pee Wee Lambert, Kitsy Kuykendall Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Vocal Group of the Year: Blue Highway Instrumental Group of the Year: […]
Lately I’ve been thinking about repetition, repeatedly. See, I’ve never been one of those who can be counted on to rail against the latest alleged oncoming modern pop corruption of whatever country music has been sounding like for a while. In country, complaints about sonic invaders have always been there. But in addition, history leaves […]
As its puntastic title suggests, Back to Bassics is a collection of solid, no-frills bluegrass, something that’s not as effortless to make as it sounds. Saravanan “Sav” Sankaran, the boyishly-voiced bass player for The Dixie Bee-Liners, leads a sharp band—with Adam Steffey on mandolin and Ron Stewart pulling double duty on banjo and fiddle—through eleven […]
The tenth time’s the charm for Eric and Leigh Gibson. The brothers–and their talented band–keep outdoing themselves with each successive record. Their latest, Help My Brother, features the best harmonies in the business (sorry, Dailey and Vincent), and they’ve never sounded better together than they do on these dozen tracks. Some of the brothers’ finest […]
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !