Gill, Skaggs to Perform at Jack Greene Memorial; New Jason Isbell Album Due in June; Mississippi Country Music Trail Will Honor Johnny Russell
A memorial service for Jack Greene will be held March 27 at the Ryman. Vince Gill, Lorrie Morgan, Gene Watson, Mandy Barnett, The Whites, Ricky Skaggs, Penn Pennington, Joe Rucker and members of the Opry band are expected to perform, while Dallas Frazier, Jeannie Seely, Keith Bilbrey, Charlie Ammerman, and Roxanne Atwood are expected to […]
Buck Owens – Honky Tonk Man: Buck Sings Country Classics Thanks in part to his weekly appearances on Hee Haw, Buck Owens was one of the most visible country musicians of the late 1960s and early 1970s. He’d already well established himself by the mid-1960s, and he and The Buckaroos helped to develop the “California sound”—dominated […]
Recently, country music blog My Kind of Country published an article about some of the genre’s most notable near-misses–songs that stalled at the #2 position on Billboard’s Country Charts. While I suppose it is disappointing for an artist to almost reach the top, the fact remains that any song that reaches the Top 10 is […]
Tomorrow would have been Johnny Russell’s 70th birthday (he passed away in 2001). He was well-known for performing hits like “Rednecks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer” and “Catfish John,” but today’s Friday Five features my favorite Russell-penned songs that have been recorded by other artists. Honorable Mention: In a Mansion Stands My Love – […]
As always, just some songs I liked, one song per artist, not necessarily the biggest hit, (although I feel free to comment on other songs by the artist). “Forgive and Forget” – Eddie Rabbitt (1975) Prior to this, Eddie was known, if at all, as a songwriter. This record got to #12, but did better […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."