J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings. The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful […]
Kris Kristofferson to Appear on Troubadour, TX; Noam Pikelny to Deliver IBMA Keynote Address; Isbell Plays Letterman
Kris Kristofferson will appear on the third season of Troubadour, TX. This fall, ATO Records will release a two-disc set of Civil War-era songs recorded by Dolly Parton, Taj Mahal, and others. Listen to Loretta Lynn’s version of “Take Your Guns and Go, John.” Noam Pikelny will deliver the keynote address at IBMA’s World of […]
Gill, Gatlin to Headline Johnny Cash Music Festival; Carlene Carter Finishes Album; New Music Videos
Carlene Carter announced on Twitter that she has just finished recording her next album and mixing it with Don Was and Bob Clearmountain. No word yet on a release date. Becky Schlegel will be releasing a brand new album called Opry Lullaby on September 1. You can listen to the outstanding title track here. Craig […]
The nominees for the Inspirational Country Music Awards were announced yesterday. Awards will be handed out at the 2013 ICM Faith, Family and Country Convention and Awards in Nashville on 10/24. John Rich has a deal for a new television series on the TV Guide Network. Music journalist, MGM record-label executive, educator and author Mort […]
On this day in 1998, Jimmy Driftwood passed away at the age of 101. He reportedly wrote 6,000 songs over the course of his life–Johnny Horton, Eddy Arnold, Johnny Cash, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Homer and Jethro, and Doc Watson were just a few of the artists who recorded his work. During one week during 1959, Driftwood […]
George Jones Biopic in the Works; Amanda Shires Releases Album Trailer; Skip Cherryholmes Joins Lou Reid & Carolina
Slim Whitman passed away. He was 89 years old. (h/t Janice Brooks) Reba’s on the cover of Jetset Magazine. Inside, she talks about her career, and, of course, the planes she’s owned. 28 Entertainment has acquired the life rights to George Jones. A biopic is in the works; writer Dennis Baxter worked with George and Nancy (who […]
Jay Leno spoofed Taylor Swift’s “22.” His version is called “63.” Holly Gleason blogged from Bonnaroo. Peter Cooper wrote a feature about a Johnny Cash puppet. (It’ll make more sense after you click the link.) Beck’s beer has made a bottle that can play music when played on a device similar to Edison’s cylindrical phonograph. […]
Waylon Jennings would have celebrated his 76th birthday tomorrow (hopefully this extra day of notice will give you enough time to plan a proper tribute, whether it’s donating to The Waylon Jennings Fund for Diabetes Research, baking cupcakes–sugar-free, of course–or covering your Telecaster in leather). Today, let’s take a look at a few favorite duets […]
Billy Mize & The Bakersfield Sound Documentary in the Works; Dailey & Vincent Announce Summer Tour Dates; Album Releases
Stream Jason Isbell’s new album, Southeastern, at MTV Hive. Britt Gully used Jimmie Rodgers’ guitar to record a tribute album. It’s the first time the guitar has been used to record in 80 years. Gully will also play the guitar at The Mississippi Picnic in New York this August. Lenny Kravitz is going to perform […]
The Tennessean posted a feature with some great video of last week’s grand opening of the Johnny Cash Museum in downtown Nashville. On Wednesday, the U.S. Postal Service will unveil the new Johnny Cash stamp at the Ryman. Nashville’s Gruhn Guitars, a store that had spent 43 years down on Broadway, is moving to a new location on […]
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.