Chuck Berry to Receive Polar Music Prize; Blues Music Award Winners Announced; New Brad Paisley Album Due in August
Dolly Parton was interviewed on NPR. Listen here. Keith Whitley passed away 25 years ago today. Earlier this week, Billboard published an article about Whitley’s legacy in country music. Brad Paisley will release a currently-untitled album on August 26. PBS is going to start to rebroadcast Life on Four Strings, an excellent documentary about ukulele […]
Rhonda Vincent, fake scurvy patient, real crime fighter. Old Crow Medicine Show’s Remedy will be released on ATO Records July 1. Here’s a teaser. The Johnny Cash Boyhood Home in Dyess, Arkansas will be opened to the public on August 16. Singer-songwriter-overachiever Donna Hughes is putting out two albums this year: bluegrass record From the Heart and Fly, […]
With stellar records by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings and St. Paul & The Broken Bones, to name just two, 2014 has already been a fine year for soul music. John Nemeth’s new album, Memphis Grease, may have slipped under your radar, but it’s certainly worth a listen. Coming off a whirlwind 2013, in which […]
HOF to Host “A Conversation with John Prine”; Pinecastle to Release Lost Osborne Brothers Recordings; T Bone Burnett Producing All-Star Basement Tapes Sequel
Albums I forgot in yesterday’s record roundup: John Nemeth’s Memphis Grease and Brandon Isaak’s Here on Earth. The Old 97s’ “Nashville” from their new record, Most Messed Up, is streaming on The New Yorker’s website. (warning: autoplay) The Chicago Tribune published a piece on Special Consensus and their solid new tribute to John Denver, Country […]
Radney Foster’s Next Record Due in May; Watch How to Write a Banjo Concerto Trailer; New Album Releases
A third person died from injuries sustained in last week’s SXSW tragedy. Radney Foster will release Everything I Should Have Said on his own Devil’s River label May 13. (via press release) Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison announced a bunch of tour dates; according to a post on Willis’ Facebook page, the duo is gearing […]
Emmylou’s Wrecking Ball Gets Deluxe Reissue; Dierks Bentley Documentary Due 2/22; New Album Releases
Nonesuch Records will release a three-disc (including a documentary DVD) expanded version of Emmylou Harris’ 1995 album Wrecking Ball on April 8. Harris also announced she and Daniel Lanois will be touring this spring to celebrate this reissue. The Tennessean‘s Nate Rau reports that, “Under current copyright law, songs recorded prior to Feb. 15, 1972, […]
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.