Tongue-in-cheek genius Peter Cooper of The Tennessean has declared himself “Commissioner of Country Music,” which gives him governing powers over the entire industry. Commissioner Cooper then calls for Lee Ann Womack to be returned to radio playlists and for party/truck songs to be banned. Jon Bream of the Minneapolis Star Tribune thinks Brad Paisley’s tour […]
Cinderella looks really great for her age. Considering the fact that she was “born” way back in 1697 in a story written by Charles Perrault, that girl needs to bottle whatever she’s putting on her face and go head-to-head with Oil of Olay. Cinderella’s story has gone on to inspire operas, ballets, ice shows, poems, […]
With his new bride prepping a solo album and a Pistol Annies album, Blake Shelton isn’t to be outdone. Late last week, he unveiled his new… uh… duo… with Jimmy Fallon. Blake Shelton is also the new host of the Grand Ole Opry’s new backstage tour experience. “Beginning this week, visitors on the Opry House […]
Dale Watson Abides; Early Kristofferson Demos; Herbs Not Required to Enjoy New Jason Boland Live Album
Dale Watson went Nashville. No, he didn’t slick his music up to appeal to a mainstream audience, he went to Nashville to record country music the way it was done in an earlier era and he enlisted studio musicians Pete Wade, Pig Robbins, and Lloyd Green to help create what he calls his dream record. […]
Imagine a record filled with steel guitar and fiddle, with songs eating cat-head biscuits, downing a few cold beers at a local bar, dealing with cheating spouses and discovering life beyond the small town. There are guest vocals from John Michael Montgomery and Jamey Johnson. On paper, it sounds like a country music album. However, […]
BluegrassJournal.com posted a list of the winners from last night’s IBMA Awards where Dailey & Vincent, Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Dan Tyminski, and Dale Ann Bradley were among the big award winners. And Peter Cooper has a recap of the awards show and performances. And The Bluegrass Blog has pictures. And…I got nothin’ else. This […]
When it comes to songs written about family, it seems Mama gets the lion’s share of the credit. It’s time to show some love to the dads–both good and bad–of country music. Whether it’s unconditional love, a kick in the pants or a valuable life lesson, the dads in these songs are pretty dang awesome…for […]
Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark and Charlie McCoy became the newest members of the Country Music Hall of Fame on Sunday in a ceremony that included tributes from Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, George Jones, Alison Krauss, Josh Turner, Michael McDonald, Rodney Crowell and others. Reba McEntire is scheduled to sign autographs at CMA Fest for the […]
Now that John Michael Montgomery has the freedom that comes with owning his own record label, he plans to cut an album of his favorite Outlaw hits from the ’70s and early ’80s. He’s working with Time Life on the project, which he plans to record late summer/early fall. Dateline NBC is devoting an entire […]
Tim McGraw is set to co-star with Sandra Bullock in the upcoming movie The Blind Side, which is based on Michael Lewis’ best-selling book, The Blind Side: Evolution of the Game, and inspired by the true story of Michael Oher, a homeless African-American teenager who is befriended by a wealthy family. For you Californians, That […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.