Chet Flippo Passes Away; Jesse Brock Joins The Gibson Brothers; Download Free Preservation Hall Jazz Band Single
Music journalist Chet Flippo passed away yesterday at the age of 69. He was a thoughtful and engaging writer who did a lot of important work, and he’ll be missed. Rolling Stone, CMT, The Tennessean, The Hollywood Reporter, MusicRow, The Nashville Scene, The L.A. Times, Billboard, and Paste are a few of the outlets who […]
Jim Ed Brown Releases New Single; Miranda Lambert Nominated for O Music Award; Omnivore Recordings to Release Don Rich, Buckaroos Albums
Jewly Hight wrote a must-read feature on Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. BJ Thomas and Keb’ Mo’ have a new music video for “Most of All.” On July 23, Omnivore Recordings will release Don Rich’s That Fiddlin’ Man and the all-instrumental The Buckaroos Play Buck and Merle, which is a combination of The Buck Owens […]
Richie Havens, the artist who opened Woodstock, passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack. He was 72. Here’s the New York Times obituary. Glen Campbell has stopped touring due to the progression of his Alzheimer’s. However, he will release an album this summer. See You There will feature “reimagined versions of hits like ‘Wichita Lineman,’ ‘By […]
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to Release Remastered Edition of Will the Circle Be Unbroken; Kacey Musgraves’ Debut Drops 3/19; Mike Auldridge Tribute Announced
The Hank Williams Estate “is making over 200 live performance recordings directly available to movie houses, television production companies, and advertising agencies, where before these rare live recordings had never been accessible for licensing directly from the Estate.” Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s seminal 1972 album, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, was remastered from the original […]
As Elton John and Bernie Taupin can testify, a strong partnership between a musician and a lyricist can be worth its weight in platinum. So when singer Martha Redbone began to work on material for a new album, she decided to collaborate with one of the best writers to ever put pen to paper: Romantic […]
Aldean’s Night Train Sells 409K Units in First Week; More Performers Added to CMA Awards; Remembering Minnie Pearl
John McEuen talks about the 40th anniversary of landmark album Will the Circle be Unbroken in a video interview for Folk Alley. Jason Aldean’s Night Train sold over 409,000 copies in its first week. Taylor Swift’s Red is expected to sell a million units this week. Chely Wright remembers Sarah “Minnie Pearl” Cannon on what would […]
Sam McDonald interviewed Emmylou Harris for the Daily Press. Barry Mazor interviewed Dwight Yoakam about his new record, 3 Pears, for the Wall Street Journal. Peter Cooper also spoke with Yoakam for a Tennessean feature. The Wall Street Journal also featured an article on the Americana compilation Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe, which […]
If Jeff Hanna sounds like he’s done and seen it all—it’s probably because he has. As a member of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band for 43 years, Hanna has played the 1984 Olympics, won GRAMMY awards, and has graced stages from the states to Japan. As part of the NGDB, Hanna has had songs atop […]
It’s been five years since the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band released an album. Though they haven’t exactly been resting on their laurels, this interval between records isn’t too surprising: After all, once a band’s been together for 45 years, don’t you think they’d get a little bored with it all? Listening to Speed of Life, […]
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.