Chet Flippo Passes Away; Jesse Brock Joins The Gibson Brothers; Download Free Preservation Hall Jazz Band Single
Music journalist Chet Flippo passed away yesterday at the age of 69. He was a thoughtful and engaging writer who did a lot of important work, and he’ll be missed. Rolling Stone, CMT, The Tennessean, The Hollywood Reporter, MusicRow, The Nashville Scene, The L.A. Times, Billboard, and Paste are a few of the outlets who […]
Jim Ed Brown Releases New Single; Miranda Lambert Nominated for O Music Award; Omnivore Recordings to Release Don Rich, Buckaroos Albums
Jewly Hight wrote a must-read feature on Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. BJ Thomas and Keb’ Mo’ have a new music video for “Most of All.” On July 23, Omnivore Recordings will release Don Rich’s That Fiddlin’ Man and the all-instrumental The Buckaroos Play Buck and Merle, which is a combination of The Buck Owens […]
Richie Havens, the artist who opened Woodstock, passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack. He was 72. Here’s the New York Times obituary. Glen Campbell has stopped touring due to the progression of his Alzheimer’s. However, he will release an album this summer. See You There will feature “reimagined versions of hits like ‘Wichita Lineman,’ ‘By […]
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to Release Remastered Edition of Will the Circle Be Unbroken; Kacey Musgraves’ Debut Drops 3/19; Mike Auldridge Tribute Announced
The Hank Williams Estate “is making over 200 live performance recordings directly available to movie houses, television production companies, and advertising agencies, where before these rare live recordings had never been accessible for licensing directly from the Estate.” Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s seminal 1972 album, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, was remastered from the original […]
As Elton John and Bernie Taupin can testify, a strong partnership between a musician and a lyricist can be worth its weight in platinum. So when singer Martha Redbone began to work on material for a new album, she decided to collaborate with one of the best writers to ever put pen to paper: Romantic […]
Aldean’s Night Train Sells 409K Units in First Week; More Performers Added to CMA Awards; Remembering Minnie Pearl
John McEuen talks about the 40th anniversary of landmark album Will the Circle be Unbroken in a video interview for Folk Alley. Jason Aldean’s Night Train sold over 409,000 copies in its first week. Taylor Swift’s Red is expected to sell a million units this week. Chely Wright remembers Sarah “Minnie Pearl” Cannon on what would […]
Sam McDonald interviewed Emmylou Harris for the Daily Press. Barry Mazor interviewed Dwight Yoakam about his new record, 3 Pears, for the Wall Street Journal. Peter Cooper also spoke with Yoakam for a Tennessean feature. The Wall Street Journal also featured an article on the Americana compilation Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe, which […]
If Jeff Hanna sounds like he’s done and seen it all—it’s probably because he has. As a member of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band for 43 years, Hanna has played the 1984 Olympics, won GRAMMY awards, and has graced stages from the states to Japan. As part of the NGDB, Hanna has had songs atop […]
It’s been five years since the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band released an album. Though they haven’t exactly been resting on their laurels, this interval between records isn’t too surprising: After all, once a band’s been together for 45 years, don’t you think they’d get a little bored with it all? Listening to Speed of Life, […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.