So, did you hear Brooks & Dunn are splitting up? The duo will release #1’s…and then some next month and take a farewell tour, The Last Rodeo Tour, in 2010. Your take: As a duo, is Brooks & Dunn’s Hall of Fame inclusion a forgone conclusion? Country Universe listed 10 essential tracks and two hidden […]
The “Legends & Lyrics” public television series is taping two shows per day for the next several days at the Grand Masonic Lodge in Nashville. Among the singer-songwriters performing are Guy Clark, Dwight Yoakam, Darryl Worley and Billy Joe Shaver. The tapings are open to the public at no charge if you print out an […]
Danny Dill, one of the songwriters behind Lefty Frizzell’s “Long Black Veil” and Bobby Bare’s “Detroit City,” passed away on Thursday at the age of 83. If you’re not familiar with “Long Black Veil,” read the story behind the song in Stop Cutting Hits: The Story of Lefty Frizzell’s “The Long Black Veil.” PopMatters‘ Joseph […]
A new Johnny Cash tribute album called All Aboard features punk and rock artists covering some of Cash’s most well-known songs. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed a few of the songs (“Let the Train Whistle Blow,” “Delia’s Gone” and “I Still Miss Someone.”) Plus, all the proceeds from album sales will go to a non-profit organization […]
As a 41st birthday present to herself, Faith Hill posed in a bikini for the cover of Shape magazine. Dan Barry explores the myths and facts behind Johnny Cash‘s night in a Starkville, Miss. jail cell in 1965 for picking flowers, an event which has given rise to the Johnny Cash Flower Pickin’ Festival. Lee […]
The success of Blake Shelton‘s latest single prompted his label to announce a Nov. 18 rush-release date for his next album, Startin’ Fires. The album borrows it’s title from the song “Good at Startin’ Fires.” Fans might think the song is for his girlfriend, Miranda Lambert, and Shelton says those thoughts wouldn’t be unfounded. Lambert […]
The 7th annual Americana Music Awards were handed out last night (Sept. 18) at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN and the Alison Krauss/Robert Plant duo took top honors, winning Album of the Year and Duo/Group of the Year, while Levon Helm took Artist of the Year home. Nanci Griffith received the Americana Trailblazer Award, […]
The first night of Sugarland‘s Love On the Inside tour coincided with Jennifer Nettles’ 34th birthday, a present she cherished before working the crowd into a frenzy with duo partner Kristian Bush, and according to Craig Shelburne, earning their nomination for entertainer of the year from the CMA Awards. Honky tonker James Hand (MySpace) completed […]
Billboard posted a slew of lists commemorating their 50th anniversary, but the most interesting, for the sake of country, is the Top Billboard Hot 100 Country Songs. Johnny Horton takes the top spot with the perennial favorite “Battle of New Orleans,” but at a quick glance it appears that Olivia Newton-John has the most representation […]
The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame plans to induct Matraca Berg, Tom Shapiro and John Hiatt during ceremonies on Oct. 26. Hiatt is being inducted in the songwriter-artist category while Berg and Shapiro will go in under the songwriter moniker. Sugar Hill Records announced that they’ve slashed most of the prices in their catalog to […]
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.