Back when I was researching and writing my book Meeting Jimmie Rodgers, at least one friend misheard what I was doing and thought I was dedicating years of work to Kenny Rogers. There were a lot of polite, puzzled “Is that so’s” and ‘How ’bout that’s.” These two artists strike so many people as so very different that they […]
Willie Nelson Visits Fallon; Ray Wylie Hubbard Announces New Tour Dates; Philly Folk Festival Lineup Announced; Stream New Bob Wayne Song
No Depression crowd-sourced questions for a Marty Stuart interview. Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, and John Hiatt will headline the 51st Philadelphia Folk Festival, which will be held August 17-19. Wanda Jackson, Pokey LaFarge, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and others are also slated to perform. Eddy Arnold’s grandson, Shannon Pollard, along with Don Cusic and Cheetah Chrome, […]
Billie Jo Spears Passes Away; Hayes Carll Tops AMA Top 10; Faith Hill to Perform at People’s Choice Awards
Billie Jo Spears passed away yesterday from cancer at the age of 74. Peter Cooper’s newest Tennessean column is all about Bonaparte’s Retreat, Emmylou Harris’ worthwhile dog rescue organization. Speaking of Emmylou, her album, as well as those from Hayes Carll, John Hiatt, Alison Krauss & Union Station, and others, made the Americana Music Association’s […]
George Strait Remembers Chris LeDoux; Rhonda Vincent Adds New Band Member; Top Country/Roots Guitarists
If you punch a lady in the face at a Chris Young show, he’ll throw you out while singing about it. 48 of the Indiana stage collapse victims have sued Sugarland and 12 other defendants. Hearth Music posted an interview with old-time banjo player Riley Baugus, whose work has appeared on the Cold Mountain soundtrack […]
Four the Record Track Listing Unveiled; IBMA Awards Performers Announced; Kathleen Edwards On Tour with Bon Iver
Songwriter Owen Davis, best known for “The Other Side of Nashville,” passed away. Emmylou Harris is performing at the Kennedy Center tonight as part of an event to commemorate the events of September 11. The event will stream here tonight beginning at 7:30pm Eastern. Wynton Marsalis, the National Symphony Orchestra, and others will perform, while […]
Wonder what those Cherryholmes kids are up to now that the family band is no longer together? BJ is now the fulltime fiddler for Dailey & Vincent, Cia has formed a roots duo with Stetson Adkisson (they’ve got an EP due out later this year), Skip’s got the Skip Cherryholmes Quintet, and Molly Kate (now […]
If you weren’t at the Newport Folk Festival, or just want to relive it, check out NPR’s streams and downloads of artists like the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Wanda Jackson, Chris Thile & Michael Daves, and lots more. The newest edition of Quotable Country. Country singer Jack Barlow has passed away. Opry Pioneer Trudy Stamper has […]
John Rich Makes ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ Cast; The Steel Wheels Ask Fans For Help; Eric Brace/Peter Cooper Produce Tom T. Hall Tribute
It’s official: John Rich will be on the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice. Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran on Friday night’s George Strait/Reba McEntire/Lee Ann Womack show, which set a record for the Erwin Center: Though this seemed like a double headlined show on paper, Strait and his aptly named Ace In the Hole Band, […]
Little Jimmy Dickens Celebrates 90; Shania Twain Announces Engagement; Country Music Hall of Fame Plans Expansion
Little Jimmy Dickens turned 90 on Sunday. Shania Twain is engaged, and has been for a couple of months now, to Frédéric Thiébaud. She announced the engagement on her website this morning. Farce the Music Parody Album Covers: A Country Christmas 2010 Craig Havighurst has an article on NPR about the songwriting system in Nashville […]
The Americana Music Association announced the top 100 Americana albums of 2010, the results of which is based on airplay. Various Artists, Crazy Heart Original Motion Picture Soundtrack / New West Rosanne Cash, The List / Manhattan John Hiatt, The Open Road / New West Carolina Chocolate Drops, Genuine Negro Jig / Nonesuch Ray Wylie […]
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.