New Dates Announced for Garth Brooks’ Vegas Shows; Laura Cantrell on Johnnie Wright; Marty Raybon and Bucky Covington Ink New Deals;
Marty Raybon signed with Rural Rhythm Records. Bucky Covington signed a deal with eOne (Entertainment One Music Group). Folk artist Bert Jansch passed away this morning. There’s a new Quotable Country over at Country California. Laura Cantrell spoke with Jim Bessman of the Examiner about Johnnie Wright and Kitty Wells. If you’ve got a few […]
Hall of Fame Plans Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; New Videos from Sierra Hull and Sarah Jarosz; Willie Nelson to Perform for Texas Fire Relief
Willie Nelson, The Dixie Chicks, Lyle Lovett, and Asleep at the Wheel are all taking part in Fire Relief: The Concert for Central Texas, which will be held on October 17 and hosted by Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights, Pure Country). The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has a new exhibit, The Bakersfield […]
Elvis Presley died on this day in 1977. Do you remember where you were when you heard the news? Merle Haggard was hospitalized over the weekend and had to cancel his Saturday night show. Over the Rhine, Rosanne Cash, Kasey Anderson, Rhett Miller, and Jason Isbell make Paste‘s list of 50 Musicians Worth Following on […]
Marshall Grant, the last surviving member of Johnny Cash’s Tennessee Two, passed away on Sunday at the age of 83. He had been in Arkansas to participate in the Johnny Cash Festival. An excerpt from Peter Cooper’s lovely obituary: Mr. Grant’s contributions to Cash’s sound were technically rudimentary but inarguably essential. He wasn’t trained on […]
There have been more than a few songs penned about the Grand Ole Opry in the past eight decades. Narrowing down that list to just five songs wasn’t an easy task, but here are my five favorites. 5. “Tears at the Grand Ole Opry” – Wanda Jackson Country music works wonders on the heartbroken, but […]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler […]
It really is too bad the Glaser Brothers couldn’t get along with each other on a more sustained basis, as they truly were an amazing act to see live. The three Glaser brothers had voices that overlapped mostly on the margins, and with their near identical phrasing they could take a lyric that started at […]
Jon Hager, who performed as one-half of The Hager Twins with his brother Jim in the original cast of Hee-Haw, passed away last week at the age of 67. Sam Lovullo, a producer of Hee-Haw and friend of the Hagers, said Jon had been in poor health and was depressed since Jim had died in […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.