No Justice is calling it quits after 12 years. The Red Dirt band will play its last shows in late October. George Strait is expected to announce his final tour dates at a press conference (which will be streamed on his website) Monday at noon EDT. On Sunday, Strait will serve as an honorary Dallas […]
Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding […]
Lorene Mann passed away on May 24 at the age of 76. Mann was a co-founder of the Nashville Songwriters Association International; she also wrote “Left to Right,” “My Wife’s House,” and other hits. Marshall Lytle, bassist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. The SteelDrivers played Mountain […]
Healing in the Heartland Benefit Concert Airs Tomorrow; Developers Want to Demolish Bob Wills’ Triple B Ranch; Album Releases
Blake Shelton’s Healing in the Heartland Oklahoma benefit concert airs on NBC tomorrow night at 9:00 Eastern. It’ll also be broadcast on Style, CMT, E!, G4, and Bravo. Performers include Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Reba, and Vince Gill. Jody Rosen wrote an excellent profile on Shane McAnally for The New York Times. A developer has obtained a […]
Johnny Cash Museum Plans 5/30 Grand Opening; Trisha Yearwood Performs at White House Event Honoring Carole King; Harrianne Condra Passes Away
Darius Rucker’s version of “Wagon Wheel” has been certified platinum. Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise” has gone triple platinum, and Taylor Swift’s “Mean” is now double platinum. Sierra Hull visited the WAMU Bluegrass Country studios to play “I’ll Be Fine,” a cut from her upcoming album. Roots rock band Mount Moriah was on the World Café. […]
Today we’re thinking of our friends in Oklahoma who’ve been affected by the tornado. Here are a few ways you can help. (h/t Farce the Music) George Strait made a brief video thanking the fans for helping him achieve his “Sixty for Sixty” goal. He’s got the most #1s in music history; you can listen […]
Americana Music Awards Nominees Announced; Third Man to Reissue Sun Records Singles; BBC Radio 4 Broadcast Gets Yodel-Bombed
Shovels & Rope earned four Americana Music Awards nominations yesterday afternoon. Buddy Miller and Emmylou Harris got three each. Read the full list here; the winners will be announced September 18 at the Americana Awards and Honors Ceremony, which will be hosted by Jim Lauderdale. Willie Nelson has donated more than $120,000 to relief efforts following […]
JD Souther Named to Songwriters Hall of Fame; Cleotha Staples Passes Away; Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Wed
Cleotha Staples, one of The Staple Singers, passed away at 78. JD Souther was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and will be inducted in a ceremony later this year. Steve Dougherty interviewed and profiled Buddy Miller for the Wall Street Journal. Discussing the heart attack he had onstage in 2009, Miller said, “I […]
The Eagles’ Don Henley will release a new solo album called Cass County in May. Henley said the album “leans towards country. Some of it’s traditional country, some of it is what you might call alt-country, and I’ve got a lot of interesting guest vocalists and musicians on there with me. I made a lot […]
On this date in 1936, Rudyard Kipling passed away at the age of 70. His children’s stories are works of art that have endured a century now. His collection of short stories known as The Jungle Book is the most notable–particularly after Walt Disney made a film based loosely on the book. This week’s Friday […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.