Four writers, four different definitions of bluegrass. Geographical separation made it impossible to settle the issue via cage fight, so instead we cast separate ballots for our favorite albums and let the votes fall where they may. Whether you’re a traditionalist, a fan of progressive bluegrass, or somewhere in between, there’s something here for everyone […]
Tim Hensley Passes Away; Kenny Chesney Starts Fund to Aid Boston Bombing Victims; Dailey & Vincent Cover The Louvin Brothers
Tim Hensley passed away yesterday from liver failure. The 50-year old multi-instrumentalist was in Kenny Chesney’s band for 11 years and Patty Loveless’ band for ten. He released one solo album, Long Monday, in 2008. Alan Jackson, Patty Loveless, Vince Gill, The Oak Ridge Boys, and Tanya Tucker are a few of the musicians who […]
Dobro whiz Mike Auldridge passed away on December 29, a day before his 74th birthday. Here are obituaries from the Washington Post, MusicRow.com, The New York Times, and Bluegrass Today (which also posted a career overview). Eric Brace remembers Auldridge. As does Peter Cooper. CMT’s Edward Morris lists the “notable country music deaths” of 2012. […]
Kellie Pickler Embarks on Sixth USO Tour; Ray Price, Willie Nelson Work on New Albums; Carrie Underwood Donates Concert Proceeds to Charity
Kellie Pickler embarked on her sixth USO Tour, entertaining service members in Afghanistan and aboard the USS John C. Stennis. Songs by Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom T. Hall, and Alejandro Escovedo made The A.V. Club’s list of “14 panicky works about growing older.” Vince Gill shows off his guitars in this video for Musician’s Friend. […]
Ashley Monroe’s Album Release Postponed; Stream Caitlin Rose’s New Single; Bluegrass for the Rockaways Compilation Raises Funds for Sandy Relief
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will be closed to the public from January 22 to February 6 to “make needed improvements and accommodate expansion-related construction.” The release of Ashley Monroe’s Like a Rose has been pushed back to March 5. From the press release: “The great Vince Gill and I have written […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...