Four writers, four different definitions of bluegrass. Geographical separation made it impossible to settle the issue via cage fight, so instead we cast separate ballots for our favorite albums and let the votes fall where they may. Whether you’re a traditionalist, a fan of progressive bluegrass, or somewhere in between, there’s something here for everyone […]
Tim Hensley Passes Away; Kenny Chesney Starts Fund to Aid Boston Bombing Victims; Dailey & Vincent Cover The Louvin Brothers
Tim Hensley passed away yesterday from liver failure. The 50-year old multi-instrumentalist was in Kenny Chesney’s band for 11 years and Patty Loveless’ band for ten. He released one solo album, Long Monday, in 2008. Alan Jackson, Patty Loveless, Vince Gill, The Oak Ridge Boys, and Tanya Tucker are a few of the musicians who […]
Dobro whiz Mike Auldridge passed away on December 29, a day before his 74th birthday. Here are obituaries from the Washington Post, MusicRow.com, The New York Times, and Bluegrass Today (which also posted a career overview). Eric Brace remembers Auldridge. As does Peter Cooper. CMT’s Edward Morris lists the “notable country music deaths” of 2012. […]
Kellie Pickler Embarks on Sixth USO Tour; Ray Price, Willie Nelson Work on New Albums; Carrie Underwood Donates Concert Proceeds to Charity
Kellie Pickler embarked on her sixth USO Tour, entertaining service members in Afghanistan and aboard the USS John C. Stennis. Songs by Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom T. Hall, and Alejandro Escovedo made The A.V. Club’s list of “14 panicky works about growing older.” Vince Gill shows off his guitars in this video for Musician’s Friend. […]
Ashley Monroe’s Album Release Postponed; Stream Caitlin Rose’s New Single; Bluegrass for the Rockaways Compilation Raises Funds for Sandy Relief
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will be closed to the public from January 22 to February 6 to “make needed improvements and accommodate expansion-related construction.” The release of Ashley Monroe’s Like a Rose has been pushed back to March 5. From the press release: “The great Vince Gill and I have written […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …