In the latest Rolling Stone, Vanessa Grigoriadis notes that aside from Willie Nelson‘s project with Asleep at the Wheel, he has another album slated for early ’09 titled Naked Willie. It’ll be produced by his harmonica player, Mickey Raphael, and consist of his RCA recordings from 1966 to 1970, without the strings and schmaltz. “For […]
Notorious prankster Brad Paisley was the first to fall victim to not one, but two pranks on this year’s tour at the hand of Jewel. Yeah, it’s a slow news day. Robert K. Oermann goes to great efforts and research to portray the Opry members as more than just artists in his new book, Behind […]
Patty Griffin performed an invitation-only show with keyboardist Ian McLagan and a string quintet in New York the same day her album Children Running Through was released last year. The fruits of that performance will be released on Sept. 9 on a digital album titled Patty Griffin: Live From The Artists Den. Paste Magazine has […]
Check out the initial list of artists performing at the 2008 Americana Music Festival in Nashville. Nashville Star is on the verge of crowning the victor of their sixth season on tonight’s episode, which means Melissa Lawson has a real chance of winning. However, as the Star-Telegram‘s Preston Jones points out, Lawson doesn’t fit the […]
Nashville Star‘s Gabe Garcia scored a couple of articles in San Antonio’s Express News, which reports that his hometown of Lytle, TX has Gabe fever. Tonight’s show is devoted to love songs and Gabe will be singing Billy Currington’s “Must Be Doing Something Right.” Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban bought an 1878 two-story Georgian mansion […]
Michael Corcoran lists “Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain” as the number one essential Willie Nelson song and asks, “Which Willie Nelson songs can you not live without?” It’s hard to argue with his list, but seeing as though it wasn’t included in the list of ten, I’d have to say the Townes Van Zandt […]
Singer-songwriter Larry Joe Taylor–who doesn’t listen to mainstream music–participated in Galleywinter’s 20 Questions feature. Your music and festivals really promote songwriting above show. What made you want to really focus on the songwriting aspect? And, who are some of your favorite songwriters? Songwriting is a craft. I’ve spent all of my musical life trying to […]
There’s only one country album on Stylus Magazine’s List of the 50 Best Albums of 2007, and it’s Miranda Lambert’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, coming in at number two. Yallwire posted the second part to their video interview with Billy Joe Shaver. This time around he sings “Get Thee Behind Me Satan” and gives some insight into […]
No albums came out today that I was too keen on reviewing, so instead I decided to recommend three albums I’ve been listening too lately that are well worth checking out. Wylie And The West – Bucking Horse Moon After twelve album releases and hearing his famous Ya-hoo-ooo! from the Yahoo.com advertising campaigns, I’m just […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …