Womack & Douglas to Host IBMA Awards; Nashville Songwriters HoF Announces Inductees; Concord Acquires Vee-Jay Catalog
Lee Ann Womack and Jerry Douglas will cohost this year’s IBMA Awards in Raleigh on October 2. Loretta Lynn, Taj Mahal, Flaco Jimenez, and Jackson Browne will be honored with Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Americana Music Association Honors and Awards in Nashville this September. Gretchen Peters, Tom Douglas, John Anderson, and Paul Craft are […]
Tequila’s been around since at least the 1600s and has been memorialized in song by everyone from Western Swing’s Cliff Bruner to The Champs to Jimmy Buffett to Joe Nichols. Here are 15 other tunes celebrating the beverage. 15. Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw – “He Drinks Tequila” This Shawn Camp/Michele McCord song from Morgan […]
CMHOF to Spotlight Crystal Gayle; Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Nominees; Wayne Hancock Recovering from Motorcycle Accident
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will open a spotlight exhibit focused on Crystal Gayle May 2. The exhibit will run through November 3. (via press release) Wayne Hancock is recovering from a motorcycle accident last weekend that left him with a collapsed lung and fractured elbow. He’s still hospitalized and his May […]
Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
Chet Flippo Passes Away; Jesse Brock Joins The Gibson Brothers; Download Free Preservation Hall Jazz Band Single
Music journalist Chet Flippo passed away yesterday at the age of 69. He was a thoughtful and engaging writer who did a lot of important work, and he’ll be missed. Rolling Stone, CMT, The Tennessean, The Hollywood Reporter, MusicRow, The Nashville Scene, The L.A. Times, Billboard, and Paste are a few of the outlets who […]
Tift Merritt Collaborates with Classical Pianist Simone Dinnerstein; The Spinney Brothers’ Next Album Due in May; Album Releases
At this point, it would be easier to list who isn’t appearing at George Jones’ final Nashville concert. Billy Ray Cyrus, Don McLean, and Cyndi Lauper have all been added to the lineup, bringing the current total to 50+ musical guests. Chuck Dauphin of Billboard reviewed one of Randy Travis’ recent performances with the Nashville Symphony: […]
Airing November 10-16 (check local listings) on PBS: Austin City Limits Presents: Americana Music Festival 2012. The list of performances looks pretty darn good. Give a listen to rockabilly artist JD McPherson’s recent Philadelphia show. Geoffrey Clarfield of The Brooklyn Rail wrote a feature on Dom Flemons (Carolina Chocolate Drops) and the return of the […]
The Florida Territory was created on this day back in 1822 (it wouldn’t become a state for another 23 years). Get some sand in your shoes with these five Florida songs. 5. Patty Griffin – “Florida” Paradise isn’t all it’s cracked up to be: “Isn’t it hard sometimes, isn’t it lonely? How I still hang […]
George Strait Scores 59th Number One; Stream New Justin Townes Earle Record; Free Music From Bhi Bhiman
“Love’s Gonna Make It Alright” is George Strait’s 59th Number One single. Stream the new Justin Townes Earle record, Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now, here. NoiseTrade is offering a free album download from folksinger Bhi Bhiman. Vandaveer’s version of “Banks of the Ohio” is the newest entry in The 78 […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.