Sunny Sweeney Releases Holiday Single; Farce the Music Offers Benefit Compilation; Dobie Gray and Barbara Orbison Pass Away
Dobie Gray passed away yesterday at the age of 71. Barbara Orbison, widow of Roy Orbison, also passed away yesterday (the 23rd anniversary of Roy’s death). She was 60 years old. Gretchen Peters has a new blog entry up about the song “Camille,” written with Matraca Berg and Suzy Bogguss. “Camille” will be on Peters’ […]
2011 has not been a huge year for new music by many women on the country music charts, a situation that’s been much noted, often with understandable dismay. The most-heard hits by female vocalists have tended either to have come from the mixed male/female group arena or to be yet another single pulled from older […]
George Strait Remembers Chris LeDoux; Rhonda Vincent Adds New Band Member; Top Country/Roots Guitarists
If you punch a lady in the face at a Chris Young show, he’ll throw you out while singing about it. 48 of the Indiana stage collapse victims have sued Sugarland and 12 other defendants. Hearth Music posted an interview with old-time banjo player Riley Baugus, whose work has appeared on the Cold Mountain soundtrack […]
Taylor Swift took home the most hardware (again) last night at the American Music Awards. She won for Favorite Country Female Artist, Favorite Country Album and then took home the night’s biggest prize with the all-genre Favorite Artist. Blake Shelton was Favorite Country Male Artist and Lady Antebellum was Favorite Country Duo/Group. Danny Gokey lost […]
Ricky Skaggs is ICM Entertainer of the Year; Pistol Annies Work with T-Bone Burnett; New Music Videos
Don’t know what to carve into your pumpkin today? Here are some templates of major country music stars to sort through including Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley and more. The Pistol Annies are already working on new music together and have been in the studio with T-Bone Burnett. Ashley Monroe said the […]
Opry to Celebrate Charlie Daniels’ 75th Birthday; Steve Martin Named Person of the Week; New Music Videos
Celebrating their 30th year together, Sawyer Brown will release their first new project in four years today called Travelin’ Band. It will be available digitally most everywhere but only physically through their website. “We’ve been working on this album so long that they were still called albums when we started working on it,” jokes lead […]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and […]
The Little Willies are back, with a second album due out in January that will feature covers of “Lovesick Blues,” “For the Good Times” (also the title track), “Jolene,” and more. At 7pm Central tonight, NashvilleSymphony.org is streaming Bela Fleck’s “Concerto for Banjo and Orchestra.” The 17th Annual ICM Faith, Family & Country Awards, held […]
Old Crow Medicine Show on Hiatus; New Videos from Joey + Rory and Shooter Jennings; Tracy Lawrence Goes to Trial
Don’t forget to tune in to the 2011 IBMA Awards Nominees Announcement at 6pm Eastern on Sirius XM Bluegrass Junction or MusicCityRoots.com. Following the announcement are performances by Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Sierra Hull & Highway 111, Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, and the Josh Williams Band. Merle Haggard is back home after being […]
New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell. Sara […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."