Missed Part One? Catch up here. KMJ: You mentioned authenticity as an important factor to the show. The press release from Sugar Hill on your third album mentioned the same thing. What does authenticity mean when it comes to your music? RF: When we started singing together, it was really just by accident. When we [...]
Don’t ever underestimate the authenticity of Joey Martin and Rory Feek, better known to the country world as the married duo Joey+Rory. The down-home family-first approach that the couple puts forth in their music and in their new RFD-TV series The Joey and Rory Show is as truthful as it comes. In the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it community [...]
Reba Plans New Single Release; CMA Awards Nominations Scheduled for 9/5 in NYC; Gillian Welch Tackles Squidbillies Theme
Get a free Iris DeMent NoiseTrade sampler that includes two songs from her upcoming album, Sing the Delta. Get lost in the Lonesome River Band: their 30th anniversary logo has been made into a corn maze. Out September 18: Bill Wilson’s Ever Changing Minstrel, a 1973 album released on Columbia Records that’s being reissued by [...]
Neil Young and Crazy Horse premiered six new songs at their recent Albuquerque show. On October 16, Big Machine will release a Christmas compilation album that will benefit the Special Olympics. Check out “How Do You Ruin Me,” a new song from Americana group Black Prairie. Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson have a new video for [...]
A half-year in which such major contributors, true giants, as Kitty Wells, Earl Scruggs and Doc Watson are suddenly no longer with us (among too many others, it sure seems, lately), could produce a major case of seasonal distress disorder in itself for a lot of us, Meanwhile, so many have been taking to [...]
CCMA Awards Nominees Announced; HoF Celebrates Elvis Presley; Country Programs Earn Emmy Nominations
Dean Brody, Johnny Reid, Corb Lund, and Terri Clark are among this year’s Canadian Country Music Association Awards nominees. Read the full list of nominees here. Chris Parton of CMT.com interviewed Old Crow Medicine Show’s Ketch Secor about the band’s new record, Carry Me Back: If anything, we are back to our old street corner-hustlin’ ways, [...]
Doc Watson Passes Away; Randy Travis Files Countersuit Against Ex-Wife’s Management Company; New Joey + Rory Album Out 7/31
Doc Watson passed away yesterday at the age of 89. Here are obituaries from the New York Times, NPR, CMT, and Washington Post. Last week’s Golf & Guitars raised nearly $100,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and the Morton Golf Foundation, which brings the game to underprivileged and disabled communities in the Sacramento region. [...]
John Rich is giving away a free download of his new song, “Whiskey Out Of Water Glasses.” Rich produced Bradley Gaskin’s recent (out 4/10) self-titled EP that has his mid-level hit “Mr. Bartender” on it. “Johnny and June” singer Heidi Newfield has signed with a new label called Sidewalk Records and will have new music coming soon. Kenny [...]
Sunny Sweeney Releases Holiday Single; Farce the Music Offers Benefit Compilation; Dobie Gray and Barbara Orbison Pass Away
Dobie Gray passed away yesterday at the age of 71. Barbara Orbison, widow of Roy Orbison, also passed away yesterday (the 23rd anniversary of Roy’s death). She was 60 years old. Gretchen Peters has a new blog entry up about the song “Camille,” written with Matraca Berg and Suzy Bogguss. “Camille” will be on Peters’ [...]
2011 has not been a huge year for new music by many women on the country music charts, a situation that’s been much noted, often with understandable dismay. The most-heard hits by female vocalists have tended either to have come from the mixed male/female group arena or to be yet another single pulled from older [...]
- Doug Gilliland: Can't say for sure if these artists are currently unsigned, but I would love to hear new material from Kathy ...
- Rick: Opry Alert! I'm guessing(?) tonight marks the end of the spring season of the Thursday Night Classic Country Opry shows ...
- bob: Thanks for the info on the PBS Carole King concert. It will be good to see Trisha Yearwood sing again.
- Jon: Nope.
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...