At 81 Charlie Louvin isn’t slowing down; he has two albums slated for later this year. The first, Steps to Heaven, will be new versions of traditional gospel songs along with two tracks from the duo he started with his brother. The second, Charlie Louvin Sings Murder Ballads & Disaster Songs, is self-explanatory. Amber Waves […]
Chris Cagle and his girlfriend were arrested on domestic assault charges. The two were arguing outside a bar and apparently things escalated when they returned to Cagle’s home. Cagle has a bump on his head from his girlfriend hitting him on the head with an umbrella, while his girlfriend is scuffed up from him hitting […]
Chip Frazier feels that Hayes Carll is carrying the torch for the next generation of the Texas/Americana Troubadours. He has the same aspects of humor, songs, and storytelling that made his predecessors–guys like Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely and Ray Wilie Hubbard–great. Bill Friskics-Warren agrees that Hayes Carll conjures up […]
The band Reckless Kelly plans to release their new album, Bulletproof, on June 24 on Yep Roc Records. Band frontman Willy Braun co-wrote one of the new songs, “God Forsaken Town,” with Robert Earl Keen, based on a person holding out from evacuating during Hurricane Katrina. Another song, “American Blood,” criticizes the war in Iraq […]
Subscribers of Texas Monthly will receive a copy adorned with a portrait of Willie Nelson on the cover and no text. The preview is pretty flippin’ sweet. Jewel is returning to Nashville Star to join John Rich as a judge and mentor to the contestants. On July 8 George Jones will release Burn Your Playhouse […]
Carlene Carter – Stronger Born the daughter of June Carter and Carl Smith and step-daughter to Johnny Cash made Carlene Carter an heir to a rich line of country music nobility, but that doesn’t mean you’ll finder her latest album dripping with steel guitars, fiddles, and hillbilly twang. Stronger is at times beautiful and poignant, […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.