At 81 Charlie Louvin isn’t slowing down; he has two albums slated for later this year. The first, Steps to Heaven, will be new versions of traditional gospel songs along with two tracks from the duo he started with his brother. The second, Charlie Louvin Sings Murder Ballads & Disaster Songs, is self-explanatory. Amber Waves […]
Chris Cagle and his girlfriend were arrested on domestic assault charges. The two were arguing outside a bar and apparently things escalated when they returned to Cagle’s home. Cagle has a bump on his head from his girlfriend hitting him on the head with an umbrella, while his girlfriend is scuffed up from him hitting […]
Chip Frazier feels that Hayes Carll is carrying the torch for the next generation of the Texas/Americana Troubadours. He has the same aspects of humor, songs, and storytelling that made his predecessors–guys like Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely and Ray Wilie Hubbard–great. Bill Friskics-Warren agrees that Hayes Carll conjures up […]
The band Reckless Kelly plans to release their new album, Bulletproof, on June 24 on Yep Roc Records. Band frontman Willy Braun co-wrote one of the new songs, “God Forsaken Town,” with Robert Earl Keen, based on a person holding out from evacuating during Hurricane Katrina. Another song, “American Blood,” criticizes the war in Iraq […]
Subscribers of Texas Monthly will receive a copy adorned with a portrait of Willie Nelson on the cover and no text. The preview is pretty flippin’ sweet. Jewel is returning to Nashville Star to join John Rich as a judge and mentor to the contestants. On July 8 George Jones will release Burn Your Playhouse […]
Carlene Carter – Stronger Born the daughter of June Carter and Carl Smith and step-daughter to Johnny Cash made Carlene Carter an heir to a rich line of country music nobility, but that doesn’t mean you’ll finder her latest album dripping with steel guitars, fiddles, and hillbilly twang. Stronger is at times beautiful and poignant, […]
- dottie: It was great & you all look wonderful. oxoxox Grandma
- Stuart Munro: I think this just moves the location of the discussion, Jack. If I named a bunch of rock artists who …
- Leeann Ward: Um, that's too much geekery for me to follow, Sam! My husband would understand you though.:)
- Jack Williams: Alabama Shakes won the AMA Emerging artist award couple of years ago. Also, classic soul influenced artists like Bettye Lavette, …
- Applejack: It certainly seems to me like the inclusion of St. Paul and the Broken Bones stretches the limits of how …
- Stuart Munro: Yes, that's the issue: is the tent so big as to have no boundaries? What *isn't* Americana? Is jazz? Is …
- Jack Williams: Um, roots music, that is.
- Jack Williams: Well, Americana is a pretty big tent. Classic southern soul falls under my personal definition of root music.
- Stuart Munro: Is it just me...or does the idea of St. Paul and the Broken Bones being an Americana act really strain …
- Sam G.: Loki Is playing Hank Williams in a new movie, and Thor bought the rights to a book about him. I …