Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” […]
Sugarland isn’t the only country group amidst a lawsuit at the moment. Everyone’s favorite trio, Rascal Flatts, was named in a suit by a songwriter from New York for copyright infringement. Joe Don Rooney’s lawyers defended the song, saying: “To the extent that ‘No Reins’ shares any similarities with the plaintiff’s alleged copyrighted work, any […]
Carrie Underwood unveiled her wax figure at Madame Tussauds New York yesterday. (View pictures on PopCrunch) In his review of Call Me Crazy, Michael McCall draws parallels between Lee Ann Womack‘s “Last Call” and George Jones‘ “I Always Get Lucky With You,” saying that Womack’s song could be a reply to Jones’. And with Patty […]
Tiffany Fallon, wife of Rascal Flatts guitarist Joe Don Rooney, gave birth to Jagger Donovan Rooney on Saturday. A humbled Chris Cagle released a statement addressing his recent arrest: I do want it to be known, however, that this argument was not elevated nor induced because of my being intoxicated. I’ve worked too hard and […]
Last week Howard Stern manipulated and re-edited sound clips from Dolly Parton quotes “to make it appear the singer was making racist and sexually explicit remarks about Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstadt, Johnny Carson and others.” Kristin Whittlesey says it wasn’t mildly upsetting either, it was so filthy and nasty that it can’t even be paraphrased. […]
What artist is switching to country music? Snoop Dogg apparently has an Everlast country song on his new album, Jessica Simpson is from Texas and therefore undeniably country, and Bon Jovi and the Eagles tried on a pair of country music boots last year–so tell me, which artists aren’t switching to country music? – Brody […]
The rumors were true, Keith Urban is going to be a dad. Country Music Hall of Famer Ken Nelson passed away at age 96. He was known as a Capitol Record executive that was an integral part of the “Bakersfield Sound” and well as the “Nashville Sound” and the producer of Buck Owens’ “Act Naturally,” […]
Inviting strangers over to play foosball in your garage after a night of drinking can be very dangerous, even if said strangers are off-duty police officers. Just ask Steve Holy, who had a gun held to the back of his head. The situation escalated when Holy failed to provide sufficient evidence about his identity to […]
Back in September Robert W. McLean donated Bill Monroe’s mandolin and Mother Maybelle Carter’s guitar to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, the money used to purchase these instruments was stolen from investors by McLean, who took his own life in late September. While alive McLean also donated two former Johnny Cash owned guitars […]
- Stuart Munro: I think this just moves the location of the discussion, Jack. If I named a bunch of rock artists who …
- Leeann Ward: Um, that's too much geekery for me to follow, Sam! My husband would understand you though.:)
- Jack Williams: Alabama Shakes won the AMA Emerging artist award couple of years ago. Also, classic soul influenced artists like Bettye Lavette, …
- Applejack: It certainly seems to me like the inclusion of St. Paul and the Broken Bones stretches the limits of how …
- Stuart Munro: Yes, that's the issue: is the tent so big as to have no boundaries? What *isn't* Americana? Is jazz? Is …
- Jack Williams: Um, roots music, that is.
- Jack Williams: Well, Americana is a pretty big tent. Classic southern soul falls under my personal definition of root music.
- Stuart Munro: Is it just me...or does the idea of St. Paul and the Broken Bones being an Americana act really strain …
- Sam G.: Loki Is playing Hank Williams in a new movie, and Thor bought the rights to a book about him. I …
- Roger: Fabulous interview and fantastic new music that I will listen to over and over again.