Hot Club of Cowtown plans to pay tribute to the music of Bob Wills with a new album, due out Feb. 1, titled What Makes Bob Holler. The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards profiled Merle Haggard. (via CMT) Elizabeth Cook, Taylor Swift, and Jamey Johnson got nods from Rolling Stone in its list for the best […]
One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix) To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have […]
By default judgement, Taylor Swift won a trademark case last week against 16 of 24 individuals who were selling counterfeit merchandise during her tour. The original case was filed in May of 2009. Nashville Scene’s 2010 Best of Nashville lists are out. The writer’s picks from the music section include Elizabeth Cook, Chely Wright, Jamey […]
Fox plans to launch a new country music awards telecast on Dec. 6, less than a month after the annual CMAs. The two-hour show, titled American Country Awards, will be different from the other country music award shows in that the winners will be voted on by fans. In an article for Guideposts, Randy Houser […]
Steve Martin Recruits Dixie Chicks; Julianne Hough Sheds Clothes For New Video; Best Live Albums Continued
In an interview with Gary Graff for The Malcomb Daily, Ronnie Dunn shoulders the blame for the split between himself an Kix Brooks. Dunn, in fact, has said he’s responsible for the ultimate decision to split, saying he quit the group over disagreements he and Brooks were having over what songs to include on their […]
Wynonna Judd, her daughter, and tour manager were involved in a “major head-on collision” on Wednesday. Fortunately, everyone turned out to be okay. On Aug. 20, the Country Music Hall of Fame will debut the new exhibit Tammy Wynette: First Lady Of Country Music, Presented By Great American Country Television Network. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox […]
Kellie Pickler Announces Engagement; Loretta Lynn & Willie Nelson Recordings Enter Library of Congress
Kellie Pickler and songwriter Kyle Jacobs announced their engagement. Jacobs popped the question on June 15, the birthday of Pickler’s late grandmother. The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica recapped Tuesday night’s four-hour concert, “Nashville Rising: A Benefit for Flood Recovery,” which was hosted by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. There was even a surprise appearance […]
Five-time GRAMMY Award-winning singer-songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter spent most of the 90s as country radio’s renaissance woman. With clever social commentary such as “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” and “I Take My Chances,” the Ivy League graduate (Brown University, 1981) was a leading inspiration for women in the midst of midlife domestic dramas. Twice named […]
Just because everything is bigger in Texas doesn’t mean that today’s Friday Five will be a Friday Six. Rules are rules. This edition of the Friday Five, however, will have a uniquely Lone Star State type of feel–five songs that deal with Texas towns. Josh Abbott Band’s brand new single, “She’s Like Texas” got my […]
Last year, truckloads of tapes were pulled from a barn in Pennsylvania. On the tapes were thousands of unreleased live recordings by Ken Alexander, who traveled to concerts setting up sound systems for venues. The recordings were made at high schools, dances, fairs, festivals, and auditoriums and include performances from George Jones, Dolly Parton, Hank […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …