There’s a new marker honoring Jimmie Rodgers in Asheville, North Carolina. Kellie Pickler’s next album, The Woman I Am, comes out November 12. (via press release) Don Schlitz, The Mavericks, and Lady Antebellum have been added to the lineup for tomorrow’s ACM Honors. Jens Kruger won the 2013 Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo […]
Brad Paisley Gives Google Talk; Stream Brian Wright, Shelby Lynne Songs; Wide Open Bluegrass Schedule Announced
Brad Paisley recently participated in the Talks at Google series. Listen to his 30-minute session here. Remember the time Johnny Cash played a murderer on Columbo? Check out Shelby Lynne’s “Brother, Where Are You” from the benefit compilation Pennies from Heaven. The Blue Ridge Outdoors September Trail Mix (download it for free here) includes songs […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
CMHOF to Display Earl Scruggs’ Banjo; JD McPherson & Pokey LaFarge Team Up for Tornado Relief; “Authenticity” in Music
Earl Scruggs’ banjo will become a part of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s “Precious Jewels” display next month. The exhibit also includes instruments played by Maybelle Carter, Jimmie Rodgers, Bill Monroe, Hank Williams, and Lester Flatt. Paul Burch and Ron Wynn share memories of Chet Flippo in this new Nashville Scene article. Pokey […]
Pokey LaFarge might have been born 70 years too late. The 29-year old singer-songwriter dresses like he wandered out of a speakeasy. But it’s not just his wardrobe that’s influenced by Prohibition Era America; his infectious sound blends jazz, blues, country and ragtime. For his first full-length album on Jack White’s Third Man Records, LaFarge […]
Billy Mize & The Bakersfield Sound Documentary in the Works; Dailey & Vincent Announce Summer Tour Dates; Album Releases
Stream Jason Isbell’s new album, Southeastern, at MTV Hive. Britt Gully used Jimmie Rodgers’ guitar to record a tribute album. It’s the first time the guitar has been used to record in 80 years. Gully will also play the guitar at The Mississippi Picnic in New York this August. Lenny Kravitz is going to perform […]
Buddy Emmons Tribute Album Due in August; Additional CMT Awards Performers Announced; Clay Hess Debuts New Single
Kellie Pickler won Dancing with the Stars. Paul Franklin, Greg Leisz, Little Jimmy Dickens, Chris Stapleton, and more will appear on The Big E: A Salute to Steel Guitarist Buddy Emmons, which will be released August 20. From the press release: The participating artists salute Emmons, now retired, with classic country songs written, recorded or […]
George Strait Nets 86th Top 10 Song; Wide Open Bluegrass Lineup Announced; New Trampled By Turtles Video
“Give It All We Got Tonight” is George Strait’s 86th Top 10. Eddy Arnold’s the only one who’s got him beat, with 92 Top 10s. All Things Considered aired an excellent piece on the inspiration behind Lee Brice’s chart-topping single, “I Drive Your Truck.” Two years ago on Memorial Day, Nashville songwriter Connie Harrington was driving […]
We heard so many different influences on Rachel Brooke’s newest album, A Killer’s Dream, that, during our interview with the singer-songwriter, we couldn’t help but ask her to make a mini-playlist of the music she listened to the most while writing and recording the album. 5. Howlin’ Wolf, “Back Door Man” “Going into recording A Killer’s […]
I’ve been traveling through the intersection of Roots and Pop for, well, a long time now, but the artists who speed right through the yellow and red lights have never stopped grabbing my attention. Are they doing that on purpose? By accident? Unaware there’s an intersection–even if it’s a backed-up, jammed up intersection? Or maybe […]
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !