Ray Benson Launches Kickstarter Campaign; Darius Rucker Inducted Into Opry; New SteelDrivers Album Due in February
The Farewell Drifters played a couple for the Bluegrass Situation. Darius Rucker was formally inducted into the Opry yesterday. Watch here. Ray Benson launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for the release of an Asleep at the Wheel documentary. Jewly Hight talks with Shelby Lynne about her evolution as an artist and the […]
Don’t try this at home. You wouldn’t do well in prison. 5. Rosanne Cash – “Burn Down This Town” Cash paints a bleak, eerie picture with this song from Black Cadillac: “The hills are burnin’, fields turn to steel / The big house is haunted with what we don’t feel / All the streets are empty, no […]
Barry Gibb made his Grand Ole Opry debut this past Friday night. “I have dreamed of performing on the hallowed stage of the Opry since I was 12 years old. So this is a dream come true for me,” Gibb was quoted as saying. “There is no greater honor.” He and Ricky Skaggs played “When […]
New Albums From Jerry Douglas, The Bankesters & Jimbo Mathus Due This Summer; Nora Jane Struthers Launches Kickstarter; Free American Songwriter Country Compilation
Marty Stuart was featured in The Wall Street Journal. An excerpt: “When I was playing the chart game, I was embarrassed to play my albums for my rock friends,” he said, mentioning Tom Petty and Jack White. “When people think of country music, they want a feeling of authenticity. Now you have to homogenize.” He […]
Lionel Richie to Perform at CMA Awards; Prairie Home Companion to Celebrate Bill Monroe; New Jason Isbell Video
The Civil Wars were featured in the New York Times. They talk about their first meeting (while working with other songwriters on material for a band that would become Gloriana) and the idea behind the band name. 41 years ago, Roger Ebert wrote the first review of a John Prine performance. Ryan Adams, Janis Ian, […]
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …