HOF to Host “A Conversation with John Prine”; Pinecastle to Release Lost Osborne Brothers Recordings; T Bone Burnett Producing All-Star Basement Tapes Sequel
Albums I forgot in yesterday’s record roundup: John Nemeth’s Memphis Grease and Brandon Isaak’s Here on Earth. The Old 97s’ “Nashville” from their new record, Most Messed Up, is streaming on The New Yorker’s website. (warning: autoplay) The Chicago Tribune published a piece on Special Consensus and their solid new tribute to John Denver, Country […]
Who doesn’t love a good country song about Saturday night shenanigans? Unfortunately, some of those wild nights have consequences that a Sunday morning can’t cure. 5. Paul Craft – “VD Ain’t Nothin’ to Clap About” But it is something to sing about. And you could dance along to this one, too, which seems appropriate given the etymology […]
Dierks Bentley to Perform at Teachers Rock Benefit Concert; Old 97′s Celebrate Too Far to Care; Chet Flippo Talks Concept Albums
A special edition of CMT Radio Live with Cody Alan will air on over 100 stations tonight: “Kix Brooks, Sara Evans, Gloriana, Toby Keith, Reba McEntire and John Rich are among the country artists who will call in and express their thoughts for the victims. The program will also encourage listeners to donate to the […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."