Sam Hunt Tops Three Billboard Charts; Bradley Whitford Cast in Hank Williams Biopic; New Music Videos
Garth Brooks unveiled a new song titled “Mom” on Good Morning America last Friday. He calls it his second-favorite song he’s recorded behind “The Dance.” What do you think? The good folks over at My Kind of Country have named Garth their spotlight artist this month. Paper Angels, the made-for-television movie based on Jimmy Wayne’s book of […]
Hard Working Americans to Release Documentary; MLB Pitcher Jake Peavy Covers Townes Van Zandt; Stream New Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile Album
Tom Riggs, founder of bluegrass label Pinecastle Records, passed away last Saturday. He was 78 years old. Watch Giants pitcher Jake Peavy and third base coach Tim Flannery (who has his own band, Tim Flannery & The Lunatic Fringe) cover Townes Van Zandt’s “Pancho and Lefty” in the stairwell of a Ritz-Carlton. The A.V. Club […]
HOF to Host “A Conversation with John Prine”; Pinecastle to Release Lost Osborne Brothers Recordings; T Bone Burnett Producing All-Star Basement Tapes Sequel
Albums I forgot in yesterday’s record roundup: John Nemeth’s Memphis Grease and Brandon Isaak’s Here on Earth. The Old 97s’ “Nashville” from their new record, Most Messed Up, is streaming on The New Yorker’s website. (warning: autoplay) The Chicago Tribune published a piece on Special Consensus and their solid new tribute to John Denver, Country […]
Who doesn’t love a good country song about Saturday night shenanigans? Unfortunately, some of those wild nights have consequences that a Sunday morning can’t cure. 5. Paul Craft – “VD Ain’t Nothin’ to Clap About” But it is something to sing about. And you could dance along to this one, too, which seems appropriate given the etymology […]
Dierks Bentley to Perform at Teachers Rock Benefit Concert; Old 97’s Celebrate Too Far to Care; Chet Flippo Talks Concept Albums
A special edition of CMT Radio Live with Cody Alan will air on over 100 stations tonight: “Kix Brooks, Sara Evans, Gloriana, Toby Keith, Reba McEntire and John Rich are among the country artists who will call in and express their thoughts for the victims. The program will also encourage listeners to donate to the […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...