Tompall Glaser Passes Away; Noam Pikelny Salutes Bluegrass Greats on New Concept Album; Will Hoge Announces Fall Tour
Tompall Glaser passed away yesterday at the age of 79. The Tennessean, Nashville Scene, CMT.com, The L.A. Times, and The 615 posted obituaries. Out October 1 on Compass Records: Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. From the press release: Baker’s fiddle brought an elegant and refined voice to Monroe’s music and Pikelny precisely […]
Renaissance man Peter Cooper will release his third album, Opening Day, on September 10. Cooper interviewed John Oates about his new “Appalachia-meets-Philadelphia country soul” project, Good Road to Follow. Rosanne Cash’s currently-untitled new album will be released January 14. It appears that the Curb-Tim McGraw legal saga might be nearing an end after a federal judge […]
Jim Ed Brown Releases New Single; Miranda Lambert Nominated for O Music Award; Omnivore Recordings to Release Don Rich, Buckaroos Albums
Jewly Hight wrote a must-read feature on Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. BJ Thomas and Keb’ Mo’ have a new music video for “Most of All.” On July 23, Omnivore Recordings will release Don Rich’s That Fiddlin’ Man and the all-instrumental The Buckaroos Play Buck and Merle, which is a combination of The Buck Owens […]
Billboard Changes Chart Methodology; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Starts Construction 11/1; Stream New Holly Williams Song
Billboard changed the way they tabulate the Hot Country Songs chart (and a handful of other charts). Now it will “incorporate digital download sales (measured by Nielsen SoundScan) and streaming data (measured by Nielsen from Spotify, Muve, Slacker, Rhapsody, Rdio and Xbox Music) along with the BDS monitored airplay measurement. The new chart will also […]
Devastating tornados tore through Missouri’s country music and entertainment capital of Branson early yesterday. The EF2 tornado had winds of up to 130 mph and was on the ground for about 20 miles according the National Weather Service. It smashed seven miles of the town’s commercial strip, hop scotching and demolishing different theater venues along the […]
Tipping the scales at over 400 pounds, Big Vinny Hickerson of Trailer Choir will be starring in the next season of The Biggest Loser. The season kicks off on September 20th. Rockabilly Hall of Fame inductee B. Jeff Stone passed away Friday at the age of 75. Stone worked with Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson and […]
At least five people were killed and over 40 were injured—some critically—when the entire concert rigging blew over in a storm during the Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday night. Sara Bareilles had just finished her opening number and Sugarland had yet to take the stage. Witnesses tell of a wall of […]
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …
- Barry Mazor: Well, gee, Taste of Country that sure clears that up. The argument's over--and it only took 200 words. …