Tompall Glaser Passes Away; Noam Pikelny Salutes Bluegrass Greats on New Concept Album; Will Hoge Announces Fall Tour
Tompall Glaser passed away yesterday at the age of 79. The Tennessean, Nashville Scene, CMT.com, The L.A. Times, and The 615 posted obituaries. Out October 1 on Compass Records: Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. From the press release: Baker’s fiddle brought an elegant and refined voice to Monroe’s music and Pikelny precisely […]
Renaissance man Peter Cooper will release his third album, Opening Day, on September 10. Cooper interviewed John Oates about his new “Appalachia-meets-Philadelphia country soul” project, Good Road to Follow. Rosanne Cash’s currently-untitled new album will be released January 14. It appears that the Curb-Tim McGraw legal saga might be nearing an end after a federal judge […]
Jim Ed Brown Releases New Single; Miranda Lambert Nominated for O Music Award; Omnivore Recordings to Release Don Rich, Buckaroos Albums
Jewly Hight wrote a must-read feature on Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. BJ Thomas and Keb’ Mo’ have a new music video for “Most of All.” On July 23, Omnivore Recordings will release Don Rich’s That Fiddlin’ Man and the all-instrumental The Buckaroos Play Buck and Merle, which is a combination of The Buck Owens […]
Billboard Changes Chart Methodology; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Starts Construction 11/1; Stream New Holly Williams Song
Billboard changed the way they tabulate the Hot Country Songs chart (and a handful of other charts). Now it will “incorporate digital download sales (measured by Nielsen SoundScan) and streaming data (measured by Nielsen from Spotify, Muve, Slacker, Rhapsody, Rdio and Xbox Music) along with the BDS monitored airplay measurement. The new chart will also […]
Devastating tornados tore through Missouri’s country music and entertainment capital of Branson early yesterday. The EF2 tornado had winds of up to 130 mph and was on the ground for about 20 miles according the National Weather Service. It smashed seven miles of the town’s commercial strip, hop scotching and demolishing different theater venues along the […]
Tipping the scales at over 400 pounds, Big Vinny Hickerson of Trailer Choir will be starring in the next season of The Biggest Loser. The season kicks off on September 20th. Rockabilly Hall of Fame inductee B. Jeff Stone passed away Friday at the age of 75. Stone worked with Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson and […]
At least five people were killed and over 40 were injured—some critically—when the entire concert rigging blew over in a storm during the Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday night. Sara Bareilles had just finished her opening number and Sugarland had yet to take the stage. Witnesses tell of a wall of […]
Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for […]
Partial List of CMA Awards Nominees Announced Today; Coming Soon: Rounder Records & Trace Adkins Retrospectives
A portion of the final nominees for the CMA Awards were announced today, with plans to announce the rest tomorrow. Miranda Lambert and her songs got nominated two times in three different categories, Lady Antebellum received four nods, while Easton Corbin and the Zac Brown Band each pulled in three. Capitol Nashville plans to release […]
Jim Ed Brown has had three separate and distinct recording careers within country music. The first career ran from 1952 to ’54 and found him paired initially with sister Maxine and later with sisters Maxine and Bonnie (1955-67). After the Browns disbanded (Bonnie and Maxine left to raise families), he had a successful career as […]
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …