The Everly Brothers’ Phil Everly passed away at the age of 74 from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The former Grand Ole Opry member was an inductee of both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (class of 1986) and the Country Music Hall of Fame (class of 2001). Read obituaries from The New York Times, The Tennessean, Rolling […]
Healing in the Heartland Benefit Concert Airs Tomorrow; Developers Want to Demolish Bob Wills’ Triple B Ranch; Album Releases
Blake Shelton’s Healing in the Heartland Oklahoma benefit concert airs on NBC tomorrow night at 9:00 Eastern. It’ll also be broadcast on Style, CMT, E!, G4, and Bravo. Performers include Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Reba, and Vince Gill. Jody Rosen wrote an excellent profile on Shane McAnally for The New York Times. A developer has obtained a […]
The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here): Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado” Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know” […]
Gordon Stoker of The Jordanaires passed away yesterday at the age of 88. From MusicRow.com: The Jordanaires’ harmonies can be heard on some of the most famous recordings from the 1960s and early ‘70s, particularly the Elvis Presley classics “Don’t Be Cruel,” “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “It’s Now or Never.” Stoker had worked with […]
CMT Names Artists of the Year; Keith Urban Receives Nashville Symphony Harmony Award; New Music Videos
Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church, Toby Keith, Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood were named as 2012 CMT Artists of the Year. Rolling Stone announced their top country albums of 2012 and Kellie Pickler was at the top of the list: “American Idol also-ran Pickler is an unlikely trad-country heroine. But 100 Proof may […]
Last week’s CMA Music Fest sold out for the third consecutive year. That includes the scores of people treated for heatstroke. The fantastic, four-part BBC country music documentary Lost Highway is now available on YouTube. Here’s Part I. Jewel unveiled her transformation into June Carter Cash for an upcoming Lifetime biopic. Late last night, there […]
Doc Watson’s family was called to his bedside over the weekend. He did rally a bit, but is still in critical condition. CMT.com posted a two-part Carrie Underwood interview. George Jones was released from the hospital this weekend. Angaleena Presley got married. So did Cia Cherryholmes and Stetson Adkisson. They’re also working on a single […]
Dirt Drifters Cancel All Upcoming Appearances; Chatham County Line Plans Live Album Release; Jewel to Play June Carter Cash in Lifetime Movie
The Ryman’s chief audio engineer, Les Banks, talks about the room’s sound with Mix Magazine: “There are so many reflective surfaces, and the biggest challenge is the absolutely phenomenal difference between the empty Ryman at soundcheck and a full house that night. It’s night-and-day different; to this day I get freaked out by how loud […]
New Whitney Duncan Album In Works; Miley Cyrus Has Death Threats and Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver Announce Gospel Album
Whitney Duncan, fresh off her Survivor experience, has taken to Kickstarter to help raise funds for a new album called Where The Back Roads Run. “This is so fun for me, because I can make the record I want to make! I really hope ya’ll are as excited about this project as I am…it was […]
At least five people were killed and over 40 were injured—some critically—when the entire concert rigging blew over in a storm during the Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday night. Sara Bareilles had just finished her opening number and Sugarland had yet to take the stage. Witnesses tell of a wall of […]
- A.B.: Barry's article was good. The quote from Mr Young mentioning Ralph Stanley is making me speculate though. He was probably …
- Janice Brooks: got this album early this morning and added Frankie Please for now.
- Daniel Mullins: I agree 100%. This is definitely one of Croweel's strongest albums. You can't help but feel more confident about yourself …
- Juli Thanki: David, yep, I'd say it's his best since The Houston Kid; though I think I like the songwriting on here …
- henry: He has a great story about "Fever on the Bayou," which I'm sure he told you about how long the …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Incredible album, exceptional review. Totally agree that this is his finest work in more than a decade.
- David Cantwell: I can't wait to hear this, Juli. Just curious... When you say his best in more than a decade, I'm …
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!