A budding Nashville starlet’s debut is her finale, while a beleaguered 90s songstress attempts her return: Jessica Harp and Mindy McCready highlight the new country music releases of March, 2010. Here’s our abbreviated reviews of the albums we we didn’t cover last month. A Woman Needs – Jessica Harp Say it ain’t so. Ex-Wrecker Jessica […]
Jessica Harp Reconsiders Career Choice; WSM Enlists New DJs: Dierks Bentley, Pam Tillis, & Jim Lauderdale
Jessica Harp announced on her website that she’s leaving her career as a recording artist to become a full-time songwriter. Chris Price and Joe Harland, producers for BBC and MTV, went on a cross-country search for the spirit of Gram Parsons for a project they call Missing Parsons. Along the way, they received a lesson […]
Justin Townes Earle was named one of the world’s most stylish men by GQ. Plus check out his new song with Dawn Landes titled “Do I Ever Cross Your Mind.” Does T Bone Burnett deserve half of the credit for the song “The Weary Kind?” Austin song publisher Brandi Warden says absolutely. T Bone Burnett‘s […]
Don Henley did it after the Eagles. John Fogerty managed it after Creedence Clearwater Revival. Paul McCartney pulled it off twice after the Beatles and Wings. Now, Jessica Harp is hoping for that elusive second-act success. For Jessica Harp, this next chapter in her career comes after a wildly successful debut album, a project released […]
Okay, so Brad Paisley had a little more life in him than a one-week run at the top. He soared to #1 of this week’s Top Artist chart with 29 listeners, and the only person that was even close was George Strait at #2 with 28. If those two were the New York Yankees and […]
Todd Snider will join ESPN tomorrow to chat and answer questions about his new album and his song “America’s Favorite Pastime” which is featured on The Homerun EP, a collection of baseball songs by Yep Roc Records artists. (via Twang Nation) Reba McEntire scored the highest solo chart debut of her career with her new […]
Based on a quote from a source close to the Spears family, E! Online is reporting that Jamie Lynn Spears, the younger sister to Britney Spears, is working on a country album. [That should get the comments flowing.] The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper and The New York Times‘ Douglas Martin wrote profiles on the life and […]
Songwriter: Jerry Flowers. I’m the kind of country music reviewer who ain’t supposed to like bouncy bubblegum ditties but I kind of like this one that sounds kind of like a cross between ‘90’s Dixie Chicks and Miranda Lambert. Got that? Me neither. Jessica Harp’s debut solo single “Boy Like Me” may well be every […]
The Dixie Bee-Liners expect to release their third album in fall of 2009. Brandi Hart says the album, titled Susanville, will be the first of several bluegrass concept albums the band has been planning. Peter Cooper talked with Steve Martin about his new banjo album, The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo: “Writing lyrics […]
The CMA is making some changes to the way its awards voting takes place. According to the 6/17 issue of Country Aircheck: On the first ballot, only the top 20 qualified vote recipients will advance to the second ballot. In the past, any candidate receiving 10 votes moved on. Also, on the second ballot, members […]
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …
- Chad: "I Love" of course!
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …