Last night’s Grammy Awards results: Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne) Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley” Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite […]
Grammy Nominees Named; Ray Price in Final Stages of Cancer; Bluegrass Underground Announces Fourth Season Lineup
The country/bluegrass/Americana/folk Grammy nominees are: Best Country Solo Performance “I Drive Your Truck” — Lee Brice “I Want Crazy” — Hunter Hayes “Mama’s Broken Heart” — Miranda Lambert “Wagon Wheel” — Darius Rucker “Mine Would Be You” — Blake Shelton Best Country Duo/Group Performance “From This Valley” — The Civil Wars “Don’t Rush” — Kelly […]
Clear Channel and CMT have formed an unholy alliance signed a deal to “create central country-music programming to be distributed across 125 Clear Channel country stations, as well as television and digital platforms, such as Clear Channel’s iHeartRadio.” An interesting factoid from the Wall Street Journal article on this deal: “Country fans have become particularly […]
George Strait Wins EOTY; Band of Heathens Offer Free Album Download; Clyde Stacy Killed in Car Accident
Last night’s CMA Award winners: Musical Event of the Year: “Highway Don’t Care,” Tim McGraw with Taylor Swift and Keith Urban Video of the Year: “Highway Don’t Care,” Tim McGraw with Taylor Swift and Keith Urban. Directed by Shane Drake Single of the Year: “Cruise,” Florida Georgia Line Song of the Year: “I Drive Your […]
Songwriters: Jessi Alexander, Gary Nicholson and Jon Randall Country audiences didn’t seem to care for all the women that Reba is. Her awkward remake of Beyonce’s 2008 R&B hit, “If I Were a Boy,” stalled out at No. 22 on the singles chart last month. The third single from her latest studio album, All the […]
UMG Donates 200,000 Songs to Library of Congress; Gurf Morlix Covers Blaze Foley; Country Music Sales Down In 2010
Universal Music Group is donating some 200,000 vintage master recordings to the Library of Congress for preservation and digitizing, the majority of which is out of print. UMG is holding on to the copyrights though, which will still allow the company to commercially release the best stuff once it’s cleaned up and sorted through. “Hopefully,” […]
Brett James Named Songwriter of the Year; Justin Townes Earl Gets Mixed Reviews — Jamey Johnson, Not So Much
At last night’s ASCAP country music awards ceremony, songwriter Brett James took home his second ASCAP songwriter of the year honor for helping write five of the organization’s most performed songs of the past year. Songwriter Josh Kear won for the second time as well. His win came in the song of the year category […]
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.