“Sunday Morning Coming Down,” “A Boy Named Sue,” “I Can’t Make You Love Me,” “Heartbreak Hotel,” and “Tim McGraw” were all mentioned in Mental Floss’ video of “33 Fascinating Songwriting Stories.” Kelly Willis posted a video of her, Bruce Robison, and their band playing “Harper Valley PTA.” It rules. CMT Edge posted an interview with […]
2011’s Starlight Hotel established Zoe Muth as one of the best under-the-radar country artists out there, with a plaintive voice that wrapped around well-written songs like “Let’s Just Be Friends for Tonight” and “If I Can’t Trust You with a Quarter (How Can I Trust You with My Heart).” With her new EP Old Gold (out […]
Part One, Part Two Leiber, Jerry – Leiber may be most remembered in country circles for co-writing the legendary Johnny and June Carter Cash duet, “Jackson.” Additional country stars to cover Leiber-written tunes (and those co-written with Mike Stoller, like “Hound Dog”) include George Jones, Johnny Paycheck, Buck Owens, Ray Stevens, Peggy Lee, Elvis Presley, […]
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …
- Chad: "I Love" of course!
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …
- Donald: "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe" is just one of my many favourites!