Soul singer Bobby Womack passed away on Friday. He was 70 years old. On October 28, Jerry Lee Lewis will release Rock & Roll Time. Here’s the title track. The biography Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story, penned by Pulitzer-winning writer Rick Bragg, will be released on the same date. Developer Tim Reynolds, whose company may buy the building […]
Listen to any Jason D. Williams song; by the chorus, it’ll become clear that the piano-pounder is the heir apparent to Jerry Lee Lewis. Williams’ new album, Hillbillies and Holy Rollers (out June 10 on Rockabilly Records), is all killer, no filler, as he intersperses solid originals with covers of songs like “Honky Tonk Hardwood […]
Last column, I alerted you to the new Shanachie DVD release You Are There, since released, which puts some of the hard-to-find and legitimately collected filmed performances of traditionalist country artists such as the Louvin Brothers and Sam & Kirk McGee on one disc. Those performances were culled from the 92 half hours of what […]
Rolling Stone is going to launch a million-dollar country music website in the second quarter of 2014; there will be a country-themed issue of the print magazine to coincide with the site launch. Preview Americana gospel group The Sacred Shakers’ live album, which will be officially released on January 21. Peter Cooper wrote about Buck Owens […]
Sherman Halsey Passes Away; Suzy Bogguss to Release Merle Haggard Tribute; Ronnie Milsap Debuts New Single
Music video director and producer Sherman Halsey passed away at the age of 56. Among the videos he worked on were Tim McGraw’s “Live Like You Were Dying,” Dwight Yoakam’s “Little Sister,” and Alan Jackson’s version of “Tall Tall Trees.” Stream the solid new release Divided and United: Songs of the Civil War, which features […]
Shelton, Bryan to Return as ACM Awards Hosts; Music City Roots Hits Public Television; Download Noam Pikelny NoiseTrade Sampler
Jewly Hight visited Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash’s graves. Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan will co-host next year’s ACM Awards. Because they did such a great job last time? Louisa Branscomb profiled Alice Gerrard for Bluegrass Today. Going to Farm Aid? Download the app. NoiseTrade is offering downloads of Noam Pikelny and Howlin’ Brothers […]
All things considered (and with Merle there’s a lot to consider) it seems to me that there’s no one in the long, wide story of country music who’s proved to have been more gifted or contributed more to it over time than Merle Haggard—as songwriter, singer, bandleader, record maker, and champion of musical heroes. For […]
Country Radio Returns to NYC; Willie Nelson, Jerry Douglas to Play New Orleans Jazz Fest; Album Releases
New York City has its first country radio station in 17 years: Cumulus launched “Nash 94.7” on Monday. An excerpt from a Wall Street Journal article on the new station: In addition to building a NASH-branded network of stations, Cumulus also plans to launch a NASH country lifestyle magazine, through Modern Luxury, the magazine company […]
Back a lifetime or two ago when I was an undergraduate at George Washington University in DC, I was a regular deejay on the campus radio station, with a show called “Heartbreak Hotel” that featured roots rock, country music and what would have been called “Americana” if there’d been a term for it; this was […]
Year’s end is all at once “make a list” time, “last chance to bring it up” time and “turn the page” time, so I thought I’d keep all of that in mind this column and point you towards some recent roots and country releases, reissues and re-visits in particular, that strike me as worthy of […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …