There were a lot of disappointed and angry country music fans in Northern California yesterday when the three-day Jukebox Music Festival was abruptly shut down by the promoter on the final day. From Alan Jackson’s Facebook page: Following early morning e-mails from the promoter of the Jukebox Music Festival, Alan Jackson will not be performing […]
CMT Music Awards Winners; Free Tift Merritt Download; Ernest Tubb Record Shops Celebrate 65th Anniversary
Thompson Square, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Scotty McCreery, and Lady Antebellum took home buckles at last night’s CMT Music Awards. Country California posted videos of the evening’s best performances by the Zac Brown Band, Pistol Annies, and a few others. Tift Merritt is offering a free download of an […]
George Jones Postpones Performances Through 5/20; Bonnie Raitt to Receive AMA Lifetime Achievement Award; The Business of Johnny Cash
This September, Bonnie Raitt will receive the Americana Music Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Performance. George Jones has postponed all performances through May 20 as he continues to recuperate from an upper respiratory infection. More info about Nashville, the Music City “family soap” starring Connie Britton: she will play “a 40-year-old Nashville superstar named Rayna who […]
Kathy Mattea Signs with Sugar Hill; Herby Wallace Passes Away; ACM Awards Will Celebrate 50th Anniversary at Cowboys Stadium
Kathy Mattea has signed with Sugar Hill Records. Album Calling Me Home will be released later this year. Irish folk musician Barney McKenna of Dubliners passed away on Thursday. Pedal steel player Herby Wallace also passed away. He toured with Donna Fargo, Nat Stuckey, and Jody Miller, to name a few, and recorded with Alabama […]
Pickathon Lineup Announced; Jerrod Niemann’s Bus Catches Fire; Friday Night Lights Actress Connie Britton to Star in ABC’s Nashville
This year’s Pickathon lineup was just announced: Whitey Morgan & The 78s, Danny Paisley & The Southern Grass, Abigail Washburn, and Cajun Country Revival are just a few of the acts slated to play the August festival. Brad Paisley announced a string of summer tour dates. Texas Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted Lyle Lovett, […]
Vacation with Joey+Rory; Golf & Guitars News: Kid Rock Partners with Symphony and Keith Urban Is Number One
The home office of Engine 145 has been experiencing some technical difficulties this week and we’ll be back to a normal posting schedule as quickly as we can. Joey+Rory are hosting “Retreat to the Ranch,” a vacation getaway in Wyoming from July 8 -14. It looks like a cross between City Slickers and the Grand […]
Randy Travis was arrested early Monday morning in Sanger, Texas on a charge of public intoxication. He has subsequently released a statement apologizing. Johnny Cash’s 80th birthday will be celebrated with two Cash-centric museums and multiple music releases. April 10 is the release date of the Steep Canyon Rangers’ Nobody Knows You. While the band’s […]
Here is the obituary Robert K. Oermann wrote for the late Charlie Collins, the guitarist and sideman who worked with Roy Acuff, Sam Bush, and others. Tim McGraw’s Emotional Traffic, his final Curb album, is streaming on NPR. NPR’s Weekend Edition aired a lovely feature on folk duo Red Heart the Ticker, whose latest album […]
Blake and Reba to Return as ACM Awards Hosts; Grascals Sign with Mountain Home; Download New Justin Townes Earle Song
Download the lead single and title track of Justin Townes Earle’s upcoming album Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now. Kelly Dearmore interviewed Darrell Scott about his new album and his work with Robert Plant. Here Scott answers the question of what Americana music means to him: I love that Americana is […]
Merle Haggard on Tavis Smiley; Jerrod Niemann Working on New Album; New Marty Raybon Single and Video
If you missed Merle Haggard’s appearance on Tavis Smiley, the interview will be posted here shortly. Zoe Muth and Joe Nichols made CMT’s Craig Shelburne’s list of the year’s overlooked albums. Singer-songwriter Matt Ellis is offering a free download of his song “Another L.A. Christmas.” Edward Morris of CMT caught an anti-death penalty benefit show […]
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …