Toby Keith Sets Record Low for No. 1 Debut; Billboard Touring Awards Finalists; Hank Williams Reinterpreted
Kenny Chesney slipped to No. 2 on the Billboard 200 this week with his album Hemingway’s Whiskey, but for the second week in a row a country album topped the chart in its debut week. This time, it was Toby Keith‘s Bullets in the Gun with 71,000 copies sold. It’s his fourth No. 1 and […]
Songwriter: Frank Loesser. There is no better semi-scandalous, stay-with-me Christmas song than “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” with its cat-and-mouse lyrics that paint a perfect picture of an eager young man trying to convince his lady friend to stay the night (so she doesn’t have to brave a wintry storm, of course). To pull off a […]
A new Johnny Cash tribute album called All Aboard features punk and rock artists covering some of Cash’s most well-known songs. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed a few of the songs (“Let the Train Whistle Blow,” “Delia’s Gone” and “I Still Miss Someone.”) Plus, all the proceeds from album sales will go to a non-profit organization […]
The first song ever recorded by The Statler Brothers was a tune by the name of “The Ballad of Billy Christian,” written by Tom T. Hall. In that regard, it was only fitting that both were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame at the Ford Theater on Sunday night. Last week Rick drew […]
Last week Howard Stern manipulated and re-edited sound clips from Dolly Parton quotes “to make it appear the singer was making racist and sexually explicit remarks about Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstadt, Johnny Carson and others.” Kristin Whittlesey says it wasn’t mildly upsetting either, it was so filthy and nasty that it can’t even be paraphrased. […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.