“Sunday Morning Coming Down,” “A Boy Named Sue,” “I Can’t Make You Love Me,” “Heartbreak Hotel,” and “Tim McGraw” were all mentioned in Mental Floss’ video of “33 Fascinating Songwriting Stories.” Kelly Willis posted a video of her, Bruce Robison, and their band playing “Harper Valley PTA.” It rules. CMT Edge posted an interview with […]
New Rodney Crowell Album Due 4/15; Trace Adkins Enters Rehab; 20 Feet from Stardom Nominated for Oscar
Rodney Crowell’s next record, Tarpaper Sky, will be released on New West Records April 15. (via press release) Geoffrey Himes wrote a Nashville Scene feature on Ray Benson, whose first solo album comes out next week. Trace Adkins is entering rehab after falling off the wagon (he’d been sober for 12 years). According to TMZ, […]
Watch Jason Isbell’s Austin City Limits Outtakes; New Country Fest Comes to Cincinnati; Album Releases
“Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue” was inspired by a dog. Songwriter Richard Leigh explains in this video (in true country fashion, the dog dies at the end of Leigh’s story and it’s really sad). Ralph Stanley’s show at the Old Town School of Folk Music was reviewed in The Chicago Tribune. (Just ignore […]
Don Williams will release a new album, Reflections, on Sugar Hill Records March 11. It will include some songs written by Townes Van Zandt, Merle Haggard and Jesse Winchester. Jack Ingram has signed a new deal with Blaster Records and plans to release two albums this year. The meritorious C.M. Wilcox put up another Quotable […]
Jason Eady Releases New Single; Hunter Berry to Record Live Album; Folk Music Could Help Track Human Migration
Kris Kristofferson says his memory has been “going” for the past few years. Jewly Hight interviewed K.T. Oslin for CMT Edge. This is cool: research suggests that the history of human migration may be traced by studying a population’s folk music in addition to examining DNA and linguistic evidence. From LiveScience.com: By comparing elements of […]
MerleFest Lineup Announced; Jennifer Nettles’ Solo Album Due in January; Darrell Webb Releases New Single
Everyone from Alan Jackson to Zephyr Lightning Bolts is playing MerleFest next April. George Strait took home the ASCAP Founders Award Monday night. Check out the full list of winners here. Speaking of ASCAP, the organization has kicked off its centennial celebration. Will Hoge played a set for CMT. This is from The National Enquirer, […]
Kenny Rogers to Receive Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award; Free Alejandro Escovedo MP3; New Album Releases
Bloodshot Records is offering a free download of Alejandro Escovedo’s version of The Velvet Underground’s “Pale Blue Eyes” in remembrance of Lou Reed. Robert Hilburn, author of Johnny Cash: A Life, was interviewed on NPR. Listen here. Robbie Fulks is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Loretta Lynn has postponed her Iowa tour dates; she’s […]
The IBMA Awards were last night. Here are the winners: Hall of Fame Inductees: Tony Rice and Paul Warren Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Album of the Year: Balsam Range, Papertown Instrumental Group of the Year: The Boxcars Vocal Group of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Song of the Year: The Gibson Brothers, […]
Deana Carter to Release New Album; Zac Brown Calls Out Luke Bryan’s “That’s My Kind of Night”; New Music Videos
Zac Brown made a bunch of Luke Bryan fans upset late last week when he called Bryan’s “That’s My Kind of Night” “the worst song” he’d ever heard. He also said, “I see it being commercially successful, in what is called country music these days, but I also feel like that the people deserve something […]
Sturgill Simpson to Make Opry Debut Friday; Drunk History Tackles Dolly and Porter; Crash My Party Tops Billboard 200
528,000 people bought Luke Bryan’s new album. Or maybe one eccentric billionaire bought half a million copies. Either way, it’s the biggest debut sales week for a male country artist since 2004, when Tim McGraw released Live Like You Were Dying. Bryan on women in mainstream country: It’s disappointing that it’s so tough for a […]
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …