Sugarland co-founder Kristen Hall is suing former bandmates Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush for $1.5 million. Hall claims that she had an agreement with Nettles and Bush to share profits after she left the band but has not received her portion of Sugarland’s earnings. (more coverage on Law.com) Brady wrote a quick recap of an […]
A man claiming to be the illegitimate son of the late Eddy Arnold filed a petition last Wednesday to establish paternity. The man, Christopher Edward Tanner, says he will do what is necessary to “make things right,” even if that means exhuming Arnold’s body for DNA testing. Danny Davis, the man who pioneered the use […]
As remarkable as Eddy Arnold‘s country music career was, Chet Flippo says, “his lasting legacy will be that he made the world safe for country pop music.” Flippo also pulled a snippet from a CMT interview where Arnold recalled one of the first times he recognized the split between pop and hillbilly music. Peter Cooper […]
Chip Frazier feels that Hayes Carll is carrying the torch for the next generation of the Texas/Americana Troubadours. He has the same aspects of humor, songs, and storytelling that made his predecessors–guys like Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely and Ray Wilie Hubbard–great. Bill Friskics-Warren agrees that Hayes Carll conjures up […]
Subscribers of Texas Monthly will receive a copy adorned with a portrait of Willie Nelson on the cover and no text. The preview is pretty flippin’ sweet. Jewel is returning to Nashville Star to join John Rich as a judge and mentor to the contestants. On July 8 George Jones will release Burn Your Playhouse […]
Songwriters: Jennifer Hanson, Michael Heeney, and A.J. Masters I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a song that captures the essence of a divorce from the child’s point of view as well as the latest single, “’73,” from Jennifer Hanson. Hanson puts words to the quintessential question silently asked by children of divorced parents and […]
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.