Miss. Country Music Trail Salutes Bobbie Gentry; Sarah Trahern Named CMA CEO; James McMurtry Signs with Complicated Game
I missed a couple albums in yesterday’s record release roundup: Buffalo Clover’s Test Your Love and Jesse Cobb’s Solitude. Bobbie Gentry’s marker on the Mississippi Country Music Trail will be unveiled tomorrow. (Like all of the Trail markers, Gentry’s has been written by Barry Mazor.) The CMA Board of Directors has named Sarah Trahern the […]
For many of us, Eric Brace and Peter Cooper never went away. Wasn’t it just two years ago that they produced a stellar cast of musicians on the Grammy-nominated I Love: Tom T. Hall’s Songs of Fox Hollow? And it’s only three years ago that Brace and Cooper released their acclaimed Master Sessions, featuring pedal […]
Willie Cut His Hair; New Music From Jason Eady, Ryan Shupe, and Todd Snider; Chris LeDoux Memorialized
The most famous braids in America are no more. Chris LeDoux will be memorialized next month with a 13-foot bronze statue and the renaming of a park in Kaycee, Wyoming. The statue, featuring LeDoux riding a horse named Stormy Weather atop a guitar-shaped base, will be called “Good Ride Cowboy” after the 2005 Garth Brooks […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."