Aubrey Preston, the new owner of Studio A, discusses his plans for the building in an interview with The Tennessean’s Nate Rau: The first step, which will be consummated on Dec. 31 when Preston’s nonprofit group AMT Trust closes on the sale, was to put the property in a “safe harbor.” AMT Trust contracted to […]
Lee Ann Womack’s new record, The Way I’m Livin’, will be released September 23 on Sugar Hill Records. The album includes songs by Buddy Miller, Chris Knight, Hayes Carll, Roger Miller, Mando Saenz, and more. The title track will premiere on The Wall Street Journal’s website Thursday. (via press release) Download Dualtone Records’ Summer Sampler, […]
CMHOF to Display Earl Scruggs’ Banjo; JD McPherson & Pokey LaFarge Team Up for Tornado Relief; “Authenticity” in Music
Earl Scruggs’ banjo will become a part of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s “Precious Jewels” display next month. The exhibit also includes instruments played by Maybelle Carter, Jimmie Rodgers, Bill Monroe, Hank Williams, and Lester Flatt. Paul Burch and Ron Wynn share memories of Chet Flippo in this new Nashville Scene article. Pokey […]
George Jones passed away this morning. He was 81. WSM is playing Jones songs A-Z today. Listen here. Here’s a fine piece on the Possum that David Cantwell wrote for a 1999 issue of No Depression. Brian Mansfield remembers Jones in this USA Today article. Billy Currington is free on bond. His arraignment hearing is […]
Wade Mainer and Don Wayne Pass Away; Lee Ann Womack Returns to Studio; Justin Townes Earle Contributes to Boardwalk Empire Soundtrack
Banjo pioneer Wade Mainer passed away on Monday at the age of 104. Songwriter Don Wayne, whose extensive body of work included “Saginaw, Michigan,” also passed away on Monday. He was 78. Lee Ann Womack is back in the studio working on a new album. Check out the Opry’s birthday celebration for George Jones. Justin […]
A Ball State college student became the sixth fatality in the Indiana State Fair stage collapse right before Sugarland was to take the stage. Jennifer Haskell had been hospitalized for severe head injuries. Her best friend was one of the other five fatalities. A roof center plug might be to blame for making the tarp […]
Jeff Bridges may have won an Oscar and considerable acclaim for playing a down-and-out songwriter in Crazy Heart, but his interest in music goes well beyond the movies. He released an R&B-tinged album, Be Here Soon, in 2000, but that is a far cry from his new one. Jeff Bridges draws more from the folksy, […]
NPR on the origins of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. And on Jeff Bridges‘ new country record. And on the “new guard” of country music: most of the best-selling artists are neo-traditionalists who seamlessly integrate current styles and attitudes into classic approaches…[t]his new guard isn’t changing country so much as making the genre comfortable with the cultural […]
Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown Band to Co-Headline New Tour; Garth Brooks Info: How to Avoid the “Late Line”
Kenny Chesney and the Zac Brown Band will co-headline nine stadium dates next year. Tickets for Garth Brook‘s Nashville show go on sale Saturday morning, but there’s a list of requirements that need to be followed in order to avoid banishment to the “late line.” GAC has the details. Jewly Hight’s cover story for Nashville […]
By default judgement, Taylor Swift won a trademark case last week against 16 of 24 individuals who were selling counterfeit merchandise during her tour. The original case was filed in May of 2009. Nashville Scene’s 2010 Best of Nashville lists are out. The writer’s picks from the music section include Elizabeth Cook, Chely Wright, Jamey […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...