CMHOF to Display Earl Scruggs’ Banjo; JD McPherson & Pokey LaFarge Team Up for Tornado Relief; “Authenticity” in Music
Earl Scruggs’ banjo will become a part of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s “Precious Jewels” display next month. The exhibit also includes instruments played by Maybelle Carter, Jimmie Rodgers, Bill Monroe, Hank Williams, and Lester Flatt. Paul Burch and Ron Wynn share memories of Chet Flippo in this new Nashville Scene article. Pokey […]
George Jones passed away this morning. He was 81. WSM is playing Jones songs A-Z today. Listen here. Here’s a fine piece on the Possum that David Cantwell wrote for a 1999 issue of No Depression. Brian Mansfield remembers Jones in this USA Today article. Billy Currington is free on bond. His arraignment hearing is […]
Wade Mainer and Don Wayne Pass Away; Lee Ann Womack Returns to Studio; Justin Townes Earle Contributes to Boardwalk Empire Soundtrack
Banjo pioneer Wade Mainer passed away on Monday at the age of 104. Songwriter Don Wayne, whose extensive body of work included “Saginaw, Michigan,” also passed away on Monday. He was 78. Lee Ann Womack is back in the studio working on a new album. Check out the Opry’s birthday celebration for George Jones. Justin […]
A Ball State college student became the sixth fatality in the Indiana State Fair stage collapse right before Sugarland was to take the stage. Jennifer Haskell had been hospitalized for severe head injuries. Her best friend was one of the other five fatalities. A roof center plug might be to blame for making the tarp […]
Jeff Bridges may have won an Oscar and considerable acclaim for playing a down-and-out songwriter in Crazy Heart, but his interest in music goes well beyond the movies. He released an R&B-tinged album, Be Here Soon, in 2000, but that is a far cry from his new one. Jeff Bridges draws more from the folksy, […]
NPR on the origins of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. And on Jeff Bridges‘ new country record. And on the “new guard” of country music: most of the best-selling artists are neo-traditionalists who seamlessly integrate current styles and attitudes into classic approaches…[t]his new guard isn’t changing country so much as making the genre comfortable with the cultural […]
When we first encounter the protagonist of Crazy Heart, he’s emptying a milk jug full of his own piss in a bowling alley parking lot. Meet Bad Blake (Jeff Bridges), former country star and current broke-down 57-year old with a heart of gold (and too little blood in his alcohol stream, if the multiple shots […]
- bruce: Aaron Watson's song/video is described in one word. Beautiful.
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!