The idea for “Here You Come Again” came to me late last year as I was completing my ballot for the Nashville Scene’s annual Country Music Critics Poll. One of the categories that poll runner Geoffrey Himes always asks for is the year’s “Top Five Country Reissues,” and as I pulled together my picks, it […]
USA Today Premieres Lori McKenna, Jason Ringenberg Tracks; White House to Celebrate Memphis Soul; Scientists Study the Neurochemistry of Music
USA Today premiered a couple songs: Jason Ringenberg’s cover of “Texarkana Baby” from an upcoming Eddy Arnold tribute record due in May, and Lori McKenna’s “Salt,” from Massachusetts (out April 23). Booker T. Jones, Mavis Staples, The Alabama Shakes, and Charlie Musselwhite are a few of the artists participating in the “Memphis Soul” installment of the […]
What did Beyonce think after Kenya interrupted the awards? She figured the country’s government must still be bitter that Taylor Swift is only bringing her tour to the West coast of Africa. — Karlie What subgenre is Taylor Swift? Moody electropunk jazzbilly thrash metal with operatic overtones. Or just pop-country. — CMW When will I […]
Michael Martin Murphey signed a multi-album contract with Rural Rhythm Records during last week’s IBMA convention and will release his second set of bluegrass tunes, Buckaroo Blue Grass 2, next February. The first single is a remake of “Wildfire” as a duet with Carrie Hassler.
As always, just some songs I liked, one song per artist, not necessarily the biggest hit, (although I feel free to comment on other songs by the artist). “Forgive and Forget” – Eddie Rabbitt (1975) Prior to this, Eddie was known, if at all, as a songwriter. This record got to #12, but did better […]
Country-pop singer Dan Seals passed away at the age of 61 after a battle with cancer. He turned to country music in the 1980s and had 11 number one singles that decade. Watch the video for one of his hits, “Everything That Glitters (Is Not Gold),” on YouTube. The Grande Ole Opry released Opry Country […]
March is Women’s History Month. And what better way to celebrate than by turning our eyes to the women of country music? No shrinking violets here; these ladies have no qualms about saying what’s on their minds at the risk of backlash and blacklisting, and in doing so, they’ve cemented their place in country music […]
Randy Lewis has a great interview with Merle Haggard over at the L.A. Times. Even more than his voluminous recordings, publishing royalties from his extensive trove of country songs assure him and his family financial stability for the rest of his life. “I make enough off my royalties that I could sit on my ass […]
I want to tell you all a story about a Harper Valley widowed wife Who had a teenage daughter who attended Harper Valley Junior High Well, her daughter came home one afternoon and didn’t even stop to play She said mom I got a note here from the Harper Valley PTA – Tom T. Hall […]
Checkout the brand spankin’ new video for Jamey Johnson‘s “In Color.” Sound off in the comments, does the video live up to the song? Kenny Chesney isn’t a big fan of the new fan-voted Entertainer of the Year award, however he still remains respectful of the fans. “The entertainer of the year award is the […]
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …
- Leeann Ward: I know that Marx seems to be very gracious about it and I also know that that's how the business …