Compass Records to Release Jean Ritchie Tribute; Alan Jackson, Kenny Rogers HoF Exhibits to Open in August; Ralph Stanley Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Ralph Stanley, Al Pacino, Annie Proulx, Robert Reich, and Robert Ballard: the world’s most interesting dinner party or a few of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences’ newly elected fellows? (It’s the latter. Stanley, Pacino, et al. will be officially inducted into the Academy on October 11.) “Alan Jackson: 25 Years of Keepin’ it […]
Gerry Goffin Passes Away; Rhiannon Giddens Plans Solo Album; New Book Celebrates the Telluride Bluegrass Festival
Songwriting legend Gerry Goffin passed away yesterday at the age of 75. What’s your favorite song that Goffin co-wrote? (I’m partial to “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” and The Byrds‘ version of “Goin’ Back.”) The project to restore Woody Guthrie’s childhood home in Okemah has hit a snag due to a financial dispute. The 615 […]
When you’re in the middle of a lively, exciting music scene, it tends to seem natural, inevitable, and bound to last. And then time happens. The scene and the music it thrived around evolve or fade away; what was exciting about them, how they seemed to matter, and, eventually, what they even were become points […]
Dean Dillon to Receive BMI Icon Award; Musicians Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Inductees; Album Releases
The Kickstarter page for Suzy Bogguss’ album of Merle Haggard songs features a six-minute sampler that sounds mighty fine. Dean Dillon will be honored with the BMI Icon Award tonight. Here’s a fine interview he did for American Songwriter. Read Barry Mazor’s Wall Street Journal article on the CMA Awards and how they got that […]
Ray Price Finishes New Album; Bentley, McBride Raise Money for Charity; James Reams Releases Bluegrass Documentary
Guy Clark was featured on NPR’s All Things Considered. Ray Price has finished making an album. From his Facebook page: “I have, in fact, completed the CD I started working on in November, 2012. It is now in the hands of my Marketing People. I have to tell you that I am so pleased with […]
Luke Bryan Wins Nine American Country Awards; Ronnie Fauss Releases Free Christmas MP3; New Album Releases
Luke Bryan took home nine trophies at last night’s American Country Awards. The full list of winners can be found here. Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale were featured on The Los Angeles Times music blog “Pop & Hiss.” Here’s an excerpt in which Miller discusses harmony singing: “I’m not a big fan of most three-part […]
In some way, Kathy Mattea has always been trying to get back home. Her songs have tracked restless journeys of yearning (“Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses”) as well as lives buffeted by the storms of life (“Walk the Way the Wind Blows”) and tossed on the rough waters of loss and love (“Where’ve You […]
Thomas Wolfe was wrong: you can go home again. At least if you’re West Virginian Kathy Mattea, who returned to the folk music of the Appalachians in 2008 with the release of critically-acclaimed roots album, Coal. New record Calling Me Home (out tomorrow on Sugar Hill Records) finds Mattea singing the music of her home state once more. […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.