Preservationists are raising funds to purchase and restore the Oildale, California boxcar Merle Haggard called home as a child. The “Save Hag’s Boxcar” campaign also wants to move the home to the Kern County Museum. (You can find more information about the campaign on the Save Hag’s Boxcar website and Facebook page.) Stream Chuck Mead’s […]
If you’re familiar with your American folk songbook (or, if you bought Suzy Bogguss’ 2011 album of the same name), you may be familiar with the song “Sweet Betsy from Pike.” Over the course of a whopping 14 verses, the song, written in the 1850s by John A. Stone, tells the story of two young […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
USA Today Premieres Lori McKenna, Jason Ringenberg Tracks; White House to Celebrate Memphis Soul; Scientists Study the Neurochemistry of Music
USA Today premiered a couple songs: Jason Ringenberg’s cover of “Texarkana Baby” from an upcoming Eddy Arnold tribute record due in May, and Lori McKenna’s “Salt,” from Massachusetts (out April 23). Booker T. Jones, Mavis Staples, The Alabama Shakes, and Charlie Musselwhite are a few of the artists participating in the “Memphis Soul” installment of the […]
New Album From Don Williams Out 6/19; ACM Off-Camera Award Winners Announced; Carolina Chocolate Drops at Library of Congress
And So It Goes, a new album from Don Williams, will be released on Sugar Hill Records June 19. Vince Gill, Alison Krauss, and Keith Urban guest on the record. Listen to a track here. This year’s ACM off-camera award winners include Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Billy Sherrill, Roger Miller, and more. Check out the […]
Children, bless their hearts, have lousy taste in music. Well, that’s not entirely fair. To them, their music is great. Children have an innate interest in music – we recently put on The Beatles’ “We Can Work It Out” to soothe our fussing 8 week old, and he quieted down before the first chorus. Consider […]
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.