Stuart Duncan Named CMHOF Nashville Cat; Aubrey Preston Reveals Plans for RCA Studio A; Lone Bellow Debut New Song
On November 1, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Stuart Duncan as part of its “Nashville Cats” series. The event will be live-streamed on the HOF website. Zac Brown Band will release a greatest hits album on November 10. (via press release) Luke Bryan will participate in a Reddit “Ask Me […]
Preservationists are raising funds to purchase and restore the Oildale, California boxcar Merle Haggard called home as a child. The “Save Hag’s Boxcar” campaign also wants to move the home to the Kern County Museum. (You can find more information about the campaign on the Save Hag’s Boxcar website and Facebook page.) Stream Chuck Mead’s […]
If you’re familiar with your American folk songbook (or, if you bought Suzy Bogguss’ 2011 album of the same name), you may be familiar with the song “Sweet Betsy from Pike.” Over the course of a whopping 14 verses, the song, written in the 1850s by John A. Stone, tells the story of two young […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
USA Today Premieres Lori McKenna, Jason Ringenberg Tracks; White House to Celebrate Memphis Soul; Scientists Study the Neurochemistry of Music
USA Today premiered a couple songs: Jason Ringenberg’s cover of “Texarkana Baby” from an upcoming Eddy Arnold tribute record due in May, and Lori McKenna’s “Salt,” from Massachusetts (out April 23). Booker T. Jones, Mavis Staples, The Alabama Shakes, and Charlie Musselwhite are a few of the artists participating in the “Memphis Soul” installment of the […]
New Album From Don Williams Out 6/19; ACM Off-Camera Award Winners Announced; Carolina Chocolate Drops at Library of Congress
And So It Goes, a new album from Don Williams, will be released on Sugar Hill Records June 19. Vince Gill, Alison Krauss, and Keith Urban guest on the record. Listen to a track here. This year’s ACM off-camera award winners include Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Billy Sherrill, Roger Miller, and more. Check out the […]
Children, bless their hearts, have lousy taste in music. Well, that’s not entirely fair. To them, their music is great. Children have an innate interest in music – we recently put on The Beatles’ “We Can Work It Out” to soothe our fussing 8 week old, and he quieted down before the first chorus. Consider […]
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …