Mike Auldridge, Jerry Douglas & Rob Ickes Collaborate on Dobro Album; In the Kitchen with Kitty Wells; Vince Gill Hosts Make-A-Wish Kids at the Ryman
Martha Hume, author, journalist, and wife of Chet Flippo, passed away on Monday at the age of 65. Vince Gill and Amy Grant hosted a holiday event for more than 100 Make-A-Wish kids and their families at the Ryman. Make some holiday treats with these recipes from the late Kitty Wells’ 1964 cookbook, which can be […]
George Jones Announces Tour Dates; Real Gone Music to Reissue Two John Hartford Records; Album Releases
George Jones announced several farewell tour dates. Out January 23 on Omnivore Records: Don Rich Sings George Jones and Buck Owens’ Honky Tonk Man, a collection of previously unreleased recordings. Flaco Jimenez played an NPR Tiny Desk Concert. Wanda Jackson’s got a new video for “Am I Even a Memory,” her duet with Justin Townes […]
Americana Music Award Winners Announced; Bearfoot Undergoes Lineup Changes; Stream New Dwight Yoakam Song
Here are the winners of last night’s Americana Music Awards and Honors: Instrumentalist of the Year: Dave Rawlings Album of the Year: This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark; produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp Song Of The Year Award : “Alabama Pines;” Written by Jason Isbell and performed by Jason Isbell […]
Buddy and Julie Miller Big Winners at Americana Awards; Capitol Records Shuts Down Ronnie Milsap Single
Peter Cooper recapped last night’s Americana Awards where Buddy and Julie Miller were the big winners for their collaboration on the album Written In Chalk. If you’re not already, let this be your reminder to follow us on Twitter where Pierce is giving a play-by-play account of his experience at the Americana Music Festival. Here […]
As a member of the Drive-By Truckers, Jason Isbell was responsible for penning some of the Southern rock band’s best and most beloved songs, including “Danko/Manuel,” “The Day John Henry Died,” and “Goddamn Lonely Love.” However, having to record and tour with your ex-wife (DBT bassist Shonna Tucker) must, in a word, suck–no matter how […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."