The sprightly, spunky opening chords of Miss Leslie’s album Wrong is What I Do Best signal a new burst of energy from the Lone Star State singer, manifested throughout with song after song of Texas two-steps, undulating waltzes and old-school kiss-offs. Miss Leslie, born Leslie Anne Sloan, boasts a clear, crisp voice that cuts straight […]
A recent debate with a friend has me wondering: Has the steel guitar gone underground, or is the steel guitar dead and gone from country music altogether, buried “under the ground?” Since Webb Pierce came out with “Slowly” in 1954, the pedal steel guitar has been the signature instrument of country music. Virtually non-existent in […]
Listen to actor Ed Harris sing “You’ll Never Leave My Heart,” a song he wrote for his new western movie Appaloosa. Lee Ann Womack played most of the songs from her new album Wednesday night at the Allen Room in New York. Jon Caramanica says the mood is much the same as found on There’s […]
In an attempt to discover and highlight the best music every month, I’ll be publishing a list of the best songs released throughout that period. Hopefully, this will present an opportunity for everyone to discuss the month’s releases, discover new and worthwhile music, and debate over the order of the list and the inclusion or […]
Based on a compilation of more than 10,000 songs, artists Fernanda Viégas and Martin Wattenberg put together a data visualization chart that lists the most common body parts (pictures included) referenced in music by genre. Eyes and hands are the most referenced parts in country music. They even compiled a rebus glossary of all the […]
John Rich plans to unveil a new song today at the Country First concert in Panama City, Fla. Titled “Rasing McCain,” the song is an anthem for the presidential candidate John McCain. Rich wants it to be a rally song that captures McCain’s maverick spirit and he has it available at no charge on his […]
Ask any artist what their favorite cities to play are and McCoy, TX isn’t likely to appear anywhere in their top 100. In fact, most have probably never heard of McCoy. And, unless you type in the county name (Atascosa), Google Maps will likely lead you astray by about 364 miles north of this particular […]
Tim McGraw is scheduled to play an intimate performance for the attendees of Beyond the Lights Celebrity Golf Classic the day that SXSW kicks off. Proceeds from the inaugural tournament, hosted by actors Kyle Chandler and Brad Leland of my favorite TV show Friday Night Lights, will benefit the Gridiron Heroes Spinal Cord Injury Foundation […]
Update: I didn’t know who hosted this showcase at the time, but found out it was put together by the guys over at K&B Talent. After I had driven around for fifteen minutes looking for a spot to park I found one right out back. When Brady and I walked though the door Jason Allen […]
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …