He doesn’t sing about much. Not really. Back water towns with water towers, driving with no place to go, working with one’s hands, no real arc for what the future holds, needing to believe and finding little to put one’s faith in. An American Dream that’s faded, now torn and shrinking. The will to survive [...]
Stream New Tracy Lawrence Single; IIIrd Tyme Out Partners with Cracker Barrel; Six Degrees of Reba McEntire
Bela Fleck talks about the New York Banjo Summit with Mary Sydnor of Philadelphia’s Daily News. Speaking of Fleck, here is an older YouTube video of his take on Saint-Saens’ delightfully spooky “Danse Macabre.” Listen to Canadian Country singer Daniel Romano’s song “Middle Child.” Rodney Crowell chats with the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Nick Cristiano about Kin and the [...]
Aldean’s Night Train Sells 409K Units in First Week; More Performers Added to CMA Awards; Remembering Minnie Pearl
John McEuen talks about the 40th anniversary of landmark album Will the Circle be Unbroken in a video interview for Folk Alley. Jason Aldean’s Night Train sold over 409,000 copies in its first week. Taylor Swift’s Red is expected to sell a million units this week. Chely Wright remembers Sarah “Minnie Pearl” Cannon on what would [...]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from [...]
Music City Roots Filming for TV; New Music from Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires, Jimbo Mathus; Aldean Announces Trio of Stadium Shows
At the ICM Faith, Family & Country Awards, Vince Gill took home Mainstream Inspirational Country Song and Mainstream Country Artist. Read the full list of winners here. Isaac “Dickie” Freeman, a Gospel Music Hall of Famer who performed with, among other groups, the Fairfield Four, passed away on Tuesday at the age of 84. Chicano [...]
TG Sheppard Hospitalized; Sam Phillips, Jerry Lee Lewis Among Memphis Music HoF Inductees; Underwood Goes Platinum
T.G. Sheppard is in critical condition after being hospitalized on Sunday with a bladder infection that spread through his bloodstream. Barry Mazor interviewed Garth Brooks for this fine Wall Street Journal article. Julie King of the News Guardian reviewed a recent Mary Chapin Carpenter/Shawn Colvin concert. Willie Nelson was one of the guests at Jamey [...]
Ray Benson Launches Kickstarter Campaign; Darius Rucker Inducted Into Opry; New SteelDrivers Album Due in February
The Farewell Drifters played a couple for the Bluegrass Situation. Darius Rucker was formally inducted into the Opry yesterday. Watch here. Ray Benson launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for the release of an Asleep at the Wheel documentary. Jewly Hight talks with Shelby Lynne about her evolution as an artist and the [...]
Shania Twain’s Come On Over is on UK music magazine NME’s list of the 30 best-selling albums of the last 30 years. Restoration of Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is underway. Download a new James Hand song here. If you missed Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss singing “Make the World Go Away” on Letterman the other [...]
Over the last few weeks and months, a couple of country music’s major players have gotten themselves in trouble with some of their actions. Randy Travis has been in the headlines for all the wrong things. Rolling Stone covered it in their magazine: Plano police told the AP that Travis got involved in an argument [...]
2013 Stagecoach Lineup Announced; Johnny Cash Music Festival Raises $200,000; Underwood, Bryan Among American Music Awards Nominees
Whitney Self of CMT.com interviewed Jessi Colter about Waylon Jennings’ final recordings, released as the album Goin’ Down Rockin’. Percussionist Richard Farrell Morris, who appeared on albums including Kris Kristofferson’s The Silver Tongued Devil and I, passed away October 4 at the age of 74 after a battle with lung cancer. Friday’s Johnny Cash Music Festival [...]
- Paul W Dennis: I guess my favorite would be George Hamilton IV's version of "Forever Young" and The Byrd's cover of Mr. Tambourine ...
- Jack Williams: Speaking of Chris Smither, he did a nice version of Visions of Johanna. Other favorites: Neville Brothers - The Ballad of Hollis ...
- Leeann Ward: I think benefit concerts and telethons are great and needed, but I'm also impressed by Underwood's generous donation.
- Arlene: Ummm? "For impact, nothing surpasses The Byrd's cover of "Mr. Tamborine Man?"" How about Peter, Paul and Mary singing "Blowin' ...
- Jon: Interesting that folks are falling all over themselves to talk up Toby Keith's prospective benefit for Oklahoma tornado victims, while ...
- Luckyoldsun: For Dylan covers with impact, nothing surpasses the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man." As far as obscure ones, I happened to like ...
- Leeann Ward: Happy to see the Randy Travis and Sara Jarosz covers, but another fave is Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris, "Shelter from the ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Among duos, 'Cruise' surpasses Carl Butler & Pearl's 11 weeks at No. 1 with "Don't Let Me "Cross Over" in ...
- Bruce: Good to read a Chestnut update. I liked Conan's comments about Swift's song. Kudo's for Toby's plans for Oklahoma. The ...
- Andrew: Ronnie Dunn has been saying on his Facebook page that he and Toby Keith are working on putting together a ...