George Jones Laid to Rest; Woody Guthrie at 100 to Air on PBS in June; Jason Aldean to Co-Host CMT Awards
George Jones’ memorial service was held yesterday morning. It was lovely. GAC put together a photo gallery. Rolling Stone posted a statement from Keith Richards on Jones’ passing. A few videos from the event are trickling in on YouTube, like Patty Loveless and Vince Gill’s heart-wrenching performance of “Go Rest High on That Mountain.” No […]
George Jones’ radio airplay skyrocketed following news of his death. Chuck Dauphin compiled a list of Jones’ 20 biggest Billboard hits, David Cantwell wrote about Jones for Slate, NPR’s RJ Smith wrote about “The Mysteries of George Jones” and Holly Gleason wrote a piece on the Possum for the Oxford American. Alan Jackson is rescheduling […]
Richie Havens, the artist who opened Woodstock, passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack. He was 72. Here’s the New York Times obituary. Glen Campbell has stopped touring due to the progression of his Alzheimer’s. However, he will release an album this summer. See You There will feature “reimagined versions of hits like ‘Wichita Lineman,’ ‘By […]
The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here): Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado” Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know” […]
Songwriters: Gretchen Wilson and Vicky McGehee If you’re looking for a reason to start caring about Gretchen Wilson’s music again, new single “Still Rollin’” ain’t it. The redneck woman who made white trash cool again–just to watch Jason Aldean and Miranda Lambert usurp her territory–turns to classic rock for inspiration here, drawing out the titular […]
The Academy of Country Music announced the recipients of some special and industry awards prior to the April 7 broadcast. Some of the winners include: Keith Whitley and the Judds – Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award (honoring music acts that are pioneers in the country music genre) Jason Aldean – Crystal Milestone Award (honoring a significant […]
Jason Molina passed away Saturday at the age of 39. David Allan Coe ran a red light in Ocala, Florida, and was T-boned by a semi early this morning. Coe and the two people in the truck have been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening conditions.” On Saturday in Chicago, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will pay tribute […]
Pistol Annies’ Second Album Drops in May; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman; New Ron Block Album Due This Summer
Pistol Annies’ sophomore record, Annie Up, will be released May 7. Elizabeth Cook returns to Letterman on Thursday night for an interview and performance. According to a University of Cambridge study that used data including intelligence and personality tests, those who “like” Lady Antebellum on Facebook are more likely to have a lower IQ. (Facebook […]
Mel Tillis Plans Book Release; Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s Drummer, Injured in Car Crash; Album Releases
Mel Tillis has a book in the works for release later this year. Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s drummer, was hospitalized with serious injuries following a car accident in Kentucky on Saturday. T Bone Burnett shares his musical influences with Vulture. Hank Williams III has two records in the works. The New Yorker published a piece […]
Bassist Chuck Goff Killed in Car Accident; Jason Eady Launches Kickstarter Campaign; New Courtney Jaye, Dirty Guv’nahs Videos
The “Gone But Not Forgotten” memorial festival, honoring Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas and Randy Hughes (2013 marks the 50th anniversary of their fatal plane crash), runs through March 2 in Camden, Tenn. Jason Eady has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to make his next album, which will be titled Daylight and […]
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."